27 replies to this topic

#1 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:41 PM

Now that the community review version of RM8 is public — and the RM8 beta testers freed from the non-disclosure agreement — I would like to see an RM8 directory added to this community board.

Robert

#2 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 11:05 PM

Now that the community review version of RM8 is public — and the RM8 beta testers freed from the non-disclosure agreement — I would like to see an RM8 directory added to this community board.

Robert

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 11:18 PM

A forum, or sub-forum, whatever you call it — like the RootsMagic 7 section.

#4 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 12:42 AM

OK, how / where do we get a copy of the "community review version of RM8"?

Cheers,

Robert

#5 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:13 AM

OK, how / where do we get a copy of the "community review version of RM8"?

Cheers,

Robert

Roberto, here you go

www.rootsmagic.com/preview.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:14 AM

A forum, or sub-forum, whatever you call it — like the RootsMagic 7 section.

I totally agree with Robert, RM8 chatter is vibrant on Facebook but it's such an unstructured format although one Rootsmagic seem to be preferring and I know it's not for many here. I have just joined that dedicated group and read a call for some structured lists which is exactly the benefit here so I'm left wondering the companys direction on this.

https://www.facebook...U&__tn__=,O,P-R

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Sorry, but we are not opening up a RootsMagic 8 forum. We have decided that the RM8 Community Preview will take place on the Facebook group provided. This allows all users to submit screen shots where doing so is an issue here on the forums. The forums is also a security concern. For us to move the forums we would loose all our old data, which would not serve anyone. Eventually, the forums will be archived.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 12:01 PM

This is a bad decision, Renee. Not to put too fine  point on it, Facebook is useless for research and nearly useless for serious discussion. It's unclear why this forum is "a security risk." What's at risk? User names? The Facebook group suffers the same "risk." IIRC Facebook has been hacked several times.

No one is asking you to "move the forum" or to risk losing data. We only ask that you continue the bulletin board and open a new sub-forum for RM8.

Finally, it's coherent discussion, not screen shots, that are the virtue of a forum like this one. The most expert help from amongst your community is found here. IMO RootsMagic is making a big mistake.

#9 B Synnerlig

B Synnerlig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 12:22 PM

The forums is also a security risk.

I wasn't aware of that. Can you elaborate that? Is the user data exposed?

#10 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 02:51 PM

Thanks lighthouse.

Cheers

Robert

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:49 PM

I do not have all the details on the security concerns on the forums. We've had to lock things down and block new registrations for a while now. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 B Synnerlig

B Synnerlig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 03:09 AM

I do not have all the details on the security concerns on the forums. We've had to lock things down and block new registrations for a while now. 

OK. I guess that if RootsMagic isn't interested to have a discussion forum it would be perfectly OK for anyone else to start an unofficial RootsMagic forum then. I'm actually a bit interested to do that.

This is a bad decision, Renee. Not to put too fine  point on it, Facebook is useless for research and nearly useless for serious discussion. It's unclear why this forum is "a security risk." What's at risk? User names? The Facebook group suffers the same "risk." IIRC Facebook has been hacked several times.

No one is asking you to "move the forum" or to risk losing data. We only ask that you continue the bulletin board and open a new sub-forum for RM8.

Finally, it's coherent discussion, not screen shots, that are the virtue of a forum like this one. The most expert help from amongst your community is found here. IMO RootsMagic is making a big mistake.

I agree that a community forum would be beneficial. I avoid FaceBook for privacy concerns and it will never become a platform for me where I'll discuss topics or look for answers.

#13 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:16 AM

A few trolls managed to join this forum in the past and posted spam. Is that the security concern? Facebook is filled with spammers, trolls, and fake identities! 

Try to bold some text in a Facebook reply for emphasis. It doesn't work. 

~ Debbie

#14 rob p

rob p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:28 AM

Since the "Forum for RM8 Community Preview" thread was locked, I'm posting this here.
I re-joined Facebook yesterday, just to check out the "community review". It is a mess, impossible to find anything.
I made two posts pointing out serious problems with RM8.
I guess Renee didn't like my attitude - I was kicked out of the group overnight.
She'll probably kick me out of here, too. Frankly, I don't care now. I'm going back to Family Tree Maker.

#15 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

I guess it's the end of an era, I have seen many things over the past few years which have shocked me and the closure of these forums is just the nail in the coffin.

Trying to control the narrative is not productive behaviour, it's like the many regimes who tried to burn and withold knowledge. I am on Facebook and have faced many challenges I won't go into here, the main problem is the disjointed and throw away nature of the platform where the same question gets asked almost daily, I wonder do Rootsmagic actually prefer such a platform?

I would compare forums such as this as books in a library whereas Facebook is like someone handing out flyers at a protest march outside which within minutes are blowing in the wind. Another downside to Facebook is the behaviour of some users to simply Block anyone who posts a balancing or opposing point of view, once the block is in place you no longer see that persons posts or comments, neither do they see yours. What that means in practice is you see a post you feel you can contribute to and Facebook shows there 7 comments but when you go to view what has been said previously you only see maybe 3 comments, the other 4 and any quoted replies to them by the person who blocked you are invisible. Therefore you cannot add a balancing comment or offer a constructive opinion of your own without looking foolish having possibly repeated something already said but invisible to you.

Rootsmagic are aware of this behavious but sadly do nothing to challenge it leaving the forum dysfunctional in my opinion. I was first attracted to Family Origins due to the readily available interaction with development and their time;y responses, somewhere we hit a branch on the line and those carriages started going in different directions to the point we can no longer see each other.

It's sad but I believe it is a deliberate evolution in the dir4ection of the company and we can do nothing to stop it. There have been several calls only today on the Community Preview group for more structure and transparency to see what bugs have been reported, we must wait and see if there is a constructive response or wherer those flyers will also blow off in the wind.

Regardless of the direction Rootsmagic takes there is always another Library somewhere.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

Root

#16 rob p

rob p

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 04:39 PM

GJohn -

Exactly my sentiments, exactly my story, and very well put. (I tend to let my emotions tint my response.)

Thank you!

- and ditto on the thanks to the experienced members here.

edit 1/4/21 -

I see they deleted the post I was referring to.

#17 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:31 AM

TomH had a post yesterday about a Feedback Log. I can't find his post here anymore. Was it removed? 

~ Debbie

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8793 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

We removed it because we are not advertising a separate Feedback log. Our concern is people will report on a different system and we will not get the reports we need in our tracking system right now.

Renee
RootsMagic

#19 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

We removed it because we are not advertising a separate Feedback log. Our concern is people will report on a different system and we will not get the reports we need in our tracking system right now.

Since it is a log of the Feedback submitted to the RM Inc tracking system, it should have no effect on what is submitted. So that should not be a concern.

A helpful enhancement to the RM Inc tracking system would be an ID for the Feedback report sent in the confirmation email to the submitter. That could be entered in our independent Log. If that ID was unique to the issue reported, not just the serial number of the report, it would be even better!

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#20 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3557 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:02 PM

I do hope RM see the benefit of making such a list visible during this stressful time so those users who care deeply about helping make a better program and give up their time freely can do so constructively.

Root