8 replies to this topic

#1 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 05:23 PM

How safe is it to run two different versions of RM?

The installer gives me this warning: "An older version of RootsMagic was found on this computer. Having different versions of RootsMagic on the same computer is only recommended for advanced users."

What exactly are the problems having two different versions might cause?

NOTE: I would only ever use each version with its own unique database, never share the same database or media files with different versions.

#2 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 05:53 PM

I do it all the time. I run on RM 7 and a copy of the same database on RM 6. I make sure I use different colors so I dont get confused

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:22 PM

RM6 & RM7 uses the same file format so you can go back and forth between those versions. RM 4-6 will not do that with each other. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 06:45 PM

So if I use the two different versions of RM each with their own separate databases (and likewise each with their own separate set of media files), regardless of versions, I should be OK?

#5 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 07:30 PM

To answer my own question: there does not appear to be any issue with each different RM version running its own separate database.

Thanks r. and Renee for the input.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 08:52 PM

I don't think the advice from the installer is really valid for most RM users. Either a newer and older version of RM database can share the same copy of an RM database, or they can't. If they can, then there is not a problem because - well, there isn't a problem. If they can't, then neither the older or newer version of RM can process the wrong version.

It seems to me that the real concern is that by mistake a user might enter data that is intended for a newer database into an older database. It's an easy mistake to make. But for that matter, if you have different databases that are at the same version, it's equally easy by mistake to enter data that is intended for one database into a different one.

I think RM would be better off not to have that message. I think it offers more confusion than sound advice.

Jerry

#7 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 08:35 AM

I install 3 versions of RM on my computer:

-- RM3 because I like the Place Finder, a database of US cities, counties, and states

-- RM6 because I store my Publisher "template" book there

-- RM7 for all current work

The Place Finder is a handy and speedy lookup for place data, and it allows me to maintain my place descriptor format, which County Check does not (at least not without trying to strongarm me into the "place standard" that County Check follows.) The Place Finder was dropped for RM4, but it really is a wonderful tool.

My Publisher "template" is not a true template. I cannot copy & rename it to save myself tons of repetitive work with every new book. Instead, it is an organized collection of info to be copied/pasted into each new Publisher book. Still an inefficient way to generate new books, but far better than entirely re-inventing the organization and typical paragraphs

I have, occasionally, had versions of the same database open in both RM6 and RM7. I always make a separate copy (in Windows) into the RM6 folder before opening the database in RM6. RM (which is an SQL database implementation) is NOT designed to have multiple users, so opening the exact same file in RM6 and RM7 simultaneously could cause file corruption.

I have one set of subfolders for my media files. There is no problem with this approach, because RM does not store the media files, it maintains a list of links to the media files.

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:39 PM

NOTE: I would only ever use each version with its own unique database, never share the same database or media files with different versions.

You were not specific regarding versions however I believe database differences has been covered.

As a footnote sharing the same set of media files is not an issue as RM only contains links to those files (like pointers)

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:29 PM

at least in the apple world, it generally does not pay to resist software upgrades. Life is simpler if you go with the flow, keep all software current and only use one version. Master one set of tools rather than fumble around many with different issues. Windows users tend to keep very old hardware and software perhaps because of the trauma of updates and changes.