#1 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 04:41 PM

1. Set the left hand column to "Index"

2. Select the "People" view on the main screen and choose a named group to display. Click on any member of the group.

3. Return to the index and double-click on any person who is NOT part of the named group.

The edit screen which opens is not the person on whom you double-clicked but the person worked on in the named group.

I think this is a bug; one should be able to open the edit screen of the person selected from the index.

#2 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:29 PM

1. Set the left hand column to "Index"

2. Select the "People" view on the main screen and choose a named group to display. Click on any member of the group.

3. Return to the index and double-click on any person who is NOT part of the named group.

The edit screen which opens is not the person on whom you double-clicked but the person worked on in the named group.

I think this is a bug; one should be able to open the edit screen of the person selected from the index.

Not a problem, as it worked for me. When I did that the persons edit screen opened.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3492 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 AM

Reading the Help file indicates that selecting a name in the Index list of the sidebar will result in the person becoming the focus person in one of the navigation views.

With that as its stated purpose, highlighting or double-clicking a person NOT having the potential to be listed in the selected navigation view in the right pane (not meeting any criteria upon which the tab is based) CANNOT and DOES NOT change the focus from your prior selection. This appears to be true for any combination of sidebar tab (not just index) and right pane navigation view. You can observe this by switching navigation view tab to any other tab and then back. You will note that your initial selection will still be highlighted in the right pane (regardless of the sidebar's selection). Consequently, any double-click (a programmed convenience to open the Edit Person screen) CAN ONLY and WILL ONLY open individuals meeting the chosen navigation view's purpose (ie. if your Group includes them, in this case). The menu option Edit->Person also appears to act the same as double-click.

However I did come across an anomaly/bug. If you follow your test case and then after highlighting or double-clicking that new person in the Index tab, change to any other navigation view and double-click that same new person either in that view or the Index tab while in that view... the person gets added to the People navigation view (view only), regardless of Group criteria. Refreshing the Group by switching between Groups, etc. clears away that spurious listing. 

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:26 AM

Thank you, Kevin. You've established that it's working as designed.

I wonder whether it couldn't have been designed so that one could open the edit screen from either the index or the main screen view. I don't see a downside to that offhand — and it would certainly have been useful for a long tedious exhibit filename changing operation I'm having to conduct just now.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3514 posts

Posted Today, 07:25 AM

I get the same behaviour as Robert but then it appears to be working as designed.

One accepted bug is the problem where on People View with a Group filtered, you right click select QuickGroups and deselect the person from the Group in focus, the person is not removed. It's a long time since I tested this and it may be when an individual is a member of several groups.

I quickly fired RM up to ensure it hasn't been fixed and it hasn't, the other odd behaviour, if I deselect the person from the Group in View on refrest the Group selection beside "Customize this view" changes to another Group name of which the person is a member but the data in view remains the same including the person who has just been deselected. Going to QuickGroups again and the person who has just been deselected is still a member of that Group.

I have read somewhere this odd behaviour will be will be dealt with in RM8.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8718 posts

Posted Today, 08:29 AM

Confirming the issue with focus. If you change the group to display one that no longer shows the person that was in focus, it will remove focus from the group list. Just don't click on someone in the new groups to move focus back to it. 

Renee
RootsMagic