3 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:42 AM

The places of birth and death occupy considerable length, especially if I insist on adding the word "County" for disambiguation and call the country United States of America. This means the end of the line gets pushed off the screen, to the right and I cannot reach the button for FamilySearch. How about allowing these fields to be split 

Minneapolis, Hennepin County,

Minnesota, United States of America

to occupy less width.

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:07 PM

I abbreviate Township to "T.", County to "C.", and don't bother with United States of America.  I use the Post Office 2 letter code for states such as "OH" for Ohio.

Therefore, I don't have the problem you experience.  It is my data and I don't really care about standards.  It works for me.

I do use other country names for clarity.

You can go to the Place List and edit place names.  An edited place name then shows up in each and every usage.  You do not have to edit every instance of usage.

#3 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:36 PM

The places of birth and death occupy considerable length, especially if I insist on adding the word "County" for disambiguation and call the country United States of America. This means the end of the line gets pushed off the screen, to the right and I cannot reach the button for FamilySearch. How about allowing these fields to be split 

Minneapolis, Hennepin County,

Minnesota, United States of America

to occupy less width.

Why not just increase the width of the right part of the screen by shifting the join to the left.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3514 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:32 AM

Why not just increase the width of the right part of the screen by shifting the join to the left.

Perfect solution, I am one who does care about standards and enter Place Data like I am entering it for someone in Timbukto so they can understand it, therefore I avoid locally used codes and abbreviations.

Other software I use allows for a data fields on their People style view called Place(short) which compresses things up and the full field is still in the database, maybe we will see something similar in RM8.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root