2 replies to this topic

#1 ricko2001

ricko2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 12:02 AM

I'm not asking for much, just a log of what actions were taken by RM when the fix broken media links 

command is run.

I'm just very nervous about performing any database wide modification when I can't see what happened. Especially since my media files are organized in a folder hierarchy. When I create files, I don't check for the presence of duplicate file names within the hierarchy, so when RM starts searching, I'm not sure what it will find...

If I had a log, I'd first make a backup, run the command and check the log.

If I was satisfied with the changes made, I'd continue to use the current database. If not, I'd revert to the backup.

Next level up in sophistication, do a "log only" run. Do all the checks, output to the log, but do not make any database changes. If log looks good, then turn off log-only mode and run the command again.

OK, I'll ask for more-

Help documentation needs a bit more info

The online help states-

Tools - Several tools to manipulate items in the Album

Fix broken media links - Searches your computer to find media items and relink them to the correct person, family, event, etc.

Will the command tell me if there are any broken links or not?

Will the command tell me if it can't find a file?

Does the command ever remove a broken link from the database if a matching filename can't be found?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:20 AM

When I create files, I don't check for the presence of duplicate file names within the hierarchy, ...

This issue has caused me to change the way I name my files. For example, if I had folder called \death_certificates I might then have a file inside that folder called smith_john.jpg. The jpg file is understood to be an image of a death certificate because it's inside the \death_certificates folder. But then I might also have a folder called \birth_certificates which contains a file called smith_john.jpg which is an image of the birth certificate for the same John Smith. As a result, I switched to including much more information in the actual file name, e.g., doe_john_death_certificate.jpg or even doe_john_death_certificate_1935.jpg in case I had a death certificate for another John Doe who died in a different year..

I still have a lot of file names for which I have not made this enhancement, but I don't think any of those are presently linked into RM. For example, I have html pages with census transcriptions. The transcriptions for 1830 for Anderson County, Tennessee would be stored in \tn\anderson\1830.html. But I have literally dozens of files called 1830.html for different states and counties, and similarly for other census years. I think I need to change this, but doing so is a big job.

Jerry

#3 ricko2001

ricko2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 02:55 PM

Yeah, in reality, I do the same. 

But when one starts working with thousands of files (I have about 5500) one shouldn't trust your memory.

This brings up the point that when "real" commercial databases refer to file storage, they just use GUIDs for the filenames.

Never a conflict.

But then direct user access to the files would be a nightmare.