7 replies to this topic

#1 History Hunter

History Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:40 PM

I've tried post-processing the RTF reports containing endnotes from RootsMagic v7.

The way RTF has been used in RM7 reports, it appears that ONLY Microsoft Word can be used to import and edit the report files.

Using any other widely-accepted RTF-capable editor or converter does not appear to work.

Hopefully, the reasoning is not that the RTF format belongs to Microsoft and so one has to use their product.

That would indicate a very poor design decision in the development of RM7.

I do hope that RM8 will fix this, because MSWord is no longer something one can purchase outright.

Having to now pay a subscription fee to Microsoft in just to have the option of cleaning up the reports is far too expensive.

If anyone has found a way to convert the files so that they can be read/edited, other than by MSWord, please post a response.

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:42 PM

I just generated a narrative report in .RTF format and LibreOffice Writer works just fine to open and edit the file.

I've done the same for many reports in .RTF format generated by RootsMagic.

You don't 'import' the .RTF file. You simply open it.

#3 History Hunter

History Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 11:33 PM

Jim;
You will find that the hyperlinked footnotes don’t work correctly. Some are non-functional and others send you to an endnote that is one less than they should. If one tries using footnotes, my experience has been worse. In a small document one can take the time to replace the links, but in a large document that isn’t practical. You should note that others on the board have reported similar issues and have been told to they have to use MSWord.

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:54 AM

Have you tried the free version of MS Word?  Available online with a free OneDrive account, I've not tested it myself but perhaps worth a try?

I have commented before that it would be nice to see ODT as an option for report output, could be use with Libra or Open Office, I gather even MS Word  supports it now.

#5 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:21 AM

You will find that the hyperlinked footnotes don’t work correctly. Some are non-functional and others send you to an endnote that is one less than they should.

Thanks. I didn't know about that. Every link to an endnote that I just tested came up one less. Strange bug.

You can still buy Microsoft Office without subscribing. The current version is Office 2019 and a new version is due out next year.

#6 History Hunter

History Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:51 AM

Have you tried the free version of MS Word?  Available online with a free OneDrive account, I've not tested it myself but perhaps worth a try?

I have commented before that it would be nice to see ODT as an option for report output, could be use with Libra or Open Office, I gather even MS Word  supports it now.

The free version of MSWord will allow one to upload and open an RTF, but you can't save it as a different format and it doesn't seem to solve the issues with the footnotes/endnotes. I'm still checking things out with an byte-level editor to see what has happened.

Yes. ODT output would be nice, as would MultiMarkDown. Most savy computer users are aware that ODT tends to be widely used, as is MultiMarkDown. That said, I somehow doubt that this addition will happen. Given that I can actually open the file in NeoOffice (LibreOffice for the Mac), I'll be happy if I could be sure that what appear to be software bugs had been fixed.

#7 History Hunter

History Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:53 AM

Thanks. I didn't know about that. Every link to an endnote that I just tested came up one less. Strange bug.

You can still buy Microsoft Office without subscribing. The current version is Office 2019 and a new version is due out next year.

Jim;

I can get NeoOffice (Mac) for FAR less than MSOffice. I also think that this may be more than making the export particular to MSOffice. I'm looking at the byte-level contents of the file. I suspect things are incorrectly tagged.

#8 History Hunter

History Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:37 PM

Jim;
I've confirmed with RM Tech support that the bug has been reported. As usual, they have no information on whether the logged bug will be fixed. I asked nothing about RM8, as the bug could have been planned to be fixed in an RM7 maintenance release. But, of course, I received the stock answre that they had no information. This paranoia about the possibility of saying something that might indicate what RM8 might do has gotten to the point of severely impacting the ability to offer standard tech support. I sure hope they either release RM8 soon or just kill it. I paid for the upgrade a few years ago and would rather kiss the money goodbye than put up with the way it's driving the ability to get answers on the current product.