20 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8766 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 01:53 PM

Crossover is finishing up a new wrapper for RM7 that works on Big Sur. We will release it as soon as possible. When it is released you will need to do a complete uninstall of RootsMagic, including the CrossOver wrapper.  The directions are on the link below. 

https://support.root...agic-on-the-Mac

Renee
RootsMagic

#2 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:29 PM

Will it be backward compatible with what were running now (Catalina)?

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 12:49 AM

Will it be backward compatible with what were running now (Catalina)?

It should be as it will be a stripped down version of the full version of CrossOver 20, which is the only version that supports Big Sur. I am quite happily using RM7 under the full version of CrossOver 20 on Catalina (currently 20.0.2). It is supposed to support all versions of MacOS as far back as High Sierra.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8766 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:49 AM

JP is correct on that. When we get the new wrapper we test it on all those versions. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:51 PM

Thanks! I won't be jumping to Big Sur anytime soon. It took me almost a year for the Catalina jump. Had to wait on some of my apps to catch up. So if the new Crossover wrapper will work with Catalina, I'll be content.....while waiting on RM8... :ph34r: <_<

#6 fte

fte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 04:39 PM

The sooner the better for those of us who upgraded to Big Sur and can't run RM at all now. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

#7 fte

fte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 05:18 PM

Any upadte?

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8766 posts

Posted 18 December 2020 - 12:26 PM

Yes, the new CrossOver wrapper for Big Sur has finally arrived. It is available on the website now for download. I am waiting for the newsletters to go out to put the announcement on Facebook. You will need to do a complete uninstall including the old CrossOver wrapper before downloading and installing RM7 with the new wrapper. Directions are in the link below. The Mac menu version number for the CrossOver wrapper is 7.6.5. same as the current RM7 version number. 

Mac: Instructions for Big Sur Users

https://support.root...r-Big-Sur-Users

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 dhwalt

dhwalt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 04:02 AM

Confirming:

Latest Big Sur 11.1 with RM 7.6.5.  installed OK as per support link - relinked media - so far, so good! Responsive but some lag resizing windows, as expected. Thanks and waiting for RM8.

#10 fte

fte

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 07:07 AM

Got it working after a few errors. No issues with uninstall. After installing, it opened read-only for one file only and then gave an Access Error and I couldn't exit. Ended up with a Force Quit and restarted. It then worked. Got another Access Error (different message). Did the Update from within RM to get to RM 7.6.5. All good now. Thanks for the update.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8766 posts

Posted 19 December 2020 - 12:03 PM

If you see an Apple Security message follow these steps:

1. Click on System Preferences
  2. Select Security and Privacy
  3. Select General at the top of the screen
  4. Select the option to open anyway

If this does not work you may need to click on the small Gold Lock and enter your Mac password. Then go back into the General tab to see if there is another option that you can select.

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 veehb

veehb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 10:30 AM

I have not updated my RootsMagic 7 for Mac since I updated to MacOS Catalina.  Now running MaxOS Big Sur.  Wish I knew how close to release RootsMagic 8 for Mac is.  I have a very large Ancestry tree and want to connect it again to RootsMagic.  I really need the many publishing tools in RootsMagic.  

I want to update to the latest RootsMagic 7 for Mac if the release for RootsMagic 8 is still a long ways off.  I know you can't tell us when it will be released.  I have a feeling it is getting close. 

I understand that if I update to version 7 for Mac now for $19.99 the update later to Version 8 will be free?  Is this correct?

Since I have not updated my RootsMagic 7 for Mac since updating to MacOS Catalina, do I still need to uninstall my RootsMagic 7, Version 7.0.1?  I'm wondering if it got deleted or removed automatically when I updated to MacOS Catalina.  I don't want to run through the steps to delete it until I have the new update license code from RootsMagic.  Guess I can run through the remove steps and see if it is necessary.

Any advice on these questions?  

Thanks, Veehb

#13 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 12:10 PM

Installed the updated wrapper and now I can get into RM, but TreeShare does not seem to be working. It starts up fine and the progress bar gets to the next to last bar and then drops back to about 2/3 of the way and sits there for hours. After letting it sit for about 12 hours I finally used force quit as cancelling did not work. Anyone else having an issue or is there a work around?

Thanks

#14 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 03:31 PM

Since I have not updated my RootsMagic 7 for Mac since updating to MacOS Catalina, do I still need to uninstall my RootsMagic 7, Version 7.0.1?  I'm wondering if it got deleted or removed automatically when I updated to MacOS Catalina.  I don't want to run through the steps to delete it until I have the new update license code from RootsMagic.  Guess I can run through the remove steps and see if it is necessary.

Any advice on these questions?  

Thanks, Veehb

You will need to follow the instructions to remove and cleanup the version you have installed before installing the updated version. Assuming your data folders are somewhere in your “standard” Mac data, say within Documents, you should be fine. Without using a license code, you will be running RM Essentials with it’s limitations.

#15 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8766 posts

Posted 21 December 2020 - 05:28 PM

I understand that if I update to version 7 for Mac now for $19.99 the update later to Version 8 will be free?  Is this correct?

Yes, the purchase of RM7 will include a free RM8 key.

Make sure to do a complete uninstall before upgrading to Big Sur and installing RM7 again. When RM8 is in community preview or full release it will be a separate program. You won't need to worry about the uninstall of RM7 unless you want to. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#16 Krmckellep

Krmckellep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 11:22 AM

Does anyone know why Rootsmagic won't open on Big Sur?  

removed and downloaded new one.  Works now.  Thanks everyone.

#17 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 02:10 AM

Does anyone know why Rootsmagic won't open on Big Sur?

Which version? Have you followed the instructions to fully uninstall and then do a complete re-install? See the previous appends under this topic.

To work under Big Sur, the “wrapper” must be a 64-bit program and the previous version is 32-bit, so won’t run under Big Sur. Big Sur just won’t open it and in fact the Big Sur install should have isolated it.

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8766 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:03 AM

The CrossOver wrapper was 64-bit under Catalina, and it still is. The newest wrapper for Big Sur is received with a current download. You must uninstall RM including the old CrossOver wrapper first. CrossOver did tell us there will be issues with those with an M1 chip. That issue can only be fixed with an Apple update for M1. If you do not have an M1 chip, and have done the complete uninstall, then there is something else on the Mac that needs to be resolved. You can open a chat on our website and work with agent to resolve it or open a support ticket. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Allen Prunty

Allen Prunty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:07 AM

Yes, the purchase of RM7 will include a free RM8 key.

Make sure to do a complete uninstall before upgrading to Big Sur and installing RM7 again. When RM8 is in community preview or full release it will be a separate program. You won't need to worry about the uninstall of RM7 unless you want to. 

I don't regret purchasing a RM8 key today to see the full power of the preview... but I do want to express my disappointment in that I have the very last 2013 mac that CAN'T UPGRADE to Big Sur since it is not one that has the retina in it.  Catalina is by no means an old operating system... but I am going to be totally left behind on my macbook pro that does 99% of my genealogy.

I believe in RM you have Great software and I've been a very long time customer.  But knowing I am going to be left behind when we were promised something for so long... I'm very sad.

Allen

#20 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 January 2021 - 06:53 AM

I don't regret purchasing a RM8 key today to see the full power of the preview... but I do want to express my disappointment in that I have the very last 2013 mac that CAN'T UPGRADE to Big Sur since it is not one that has the retina in it.  Catalina is by no means an old operating system... but I am going to be totally left behind on my macbook pro that does 99% of my genealogy.

Allen

Have you seen something that says RM8 is Big Sur only? I would have expected it to run on Catalina - it does at the moment and I would expect that to continue. (Though I know nothing definite.)