2 replies to this topic

#1 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 03:33 PM

Would really like the ability to create a bare-bones gedcom without having to create a separate file and edit every fact type.

On the report creation page it can have a check box limiting it to b/m/d.   I don't want to upload everything to a dna site to go with the test.

TMG had this option and I never realized how great it was until now.

Thank you.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 11:38 PM

I'm very supportive of this wish. Indeed, I wish for it to go a bit further. For example, sometimes you want to export all fact types, even though some of them may be turned off in Lists>Fact Type List. So what about the following.

In the basic GEDCOM export dialog, have two mutually exclusive check boxes (if you turn one of them on, the other one turns off) which function as follows. One option would say something like Export Facts Enabled in Fact List and the other option would say something like Choose Which Fact Types to Export. The default would be Export Facts Enabled in Fact List and it would work just exactly like RM7 presently works. The second option would be more flexible and it would work as follows. There would be two lists of fact types - sort of like one big long list separated by a horizontal line. Above the horizontal line line would be the b/m/d/b fact types. Below the horizontal line would be all the other fact types in alphabetical order. Each fact type would have a check box beside it that you could click to turn on or off. In addition, each of the little "above the horizontal line" and "below the horizontal line" sections of the list would have two master check boxes. One would be enable all facts in this section of the list and the other would disable all facts in this section of the list. So for example you could enable all the b/m/d/b facts with one click and disable all the other facts with one more click. Or you could enable all fact types with just two clicks - one above the line and one below the line. Or you could disable all the facts below the line and then go through the list quickly and enable just the few facts below the line that you wanted.

These check boxes would only be for the export operation and would not affect the settings in the Fact Type List itself. But the Fact Type List itself also needs this kind of ease in enabling and disabling fact types for various functions - not just for GEDCOM export. The way it does it now in RM7 is extremely clunky and user unfriendly. We haven't seen yet how RM8 does it, but I hope it's much more user friendly than it is in RM7.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8796 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 05:55 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic