• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IBPete

IBPete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:52 AM

I don't fully understand the flow of having cousinXremoved, if i have a first cousin X fourth removed are his children still in my line as being kin? Notice that the Roots magic program doesn't show as being kin. Is this correct or a mistake?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8718 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:10 AM

They are related. This article is one of many that describe what cousin x removed mean. 

https://www.findmypa...y-relationships

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 12:43 PM

I actually wonder where you are looking in RM.

If you run Reports>Lists>Kinship lists then the children of your cousin four times removed should show up as related to you.

If you are highlighting a person and then looking in the lower left hand corner of the RM screen, then the children of your cousin four times removed might not show up as related to you. In order for people to show up as related to you in the lower left hand corner of the RM screen, you first have to run Tools>Set Relationships. If you had previously done a Tools>Set Relationships that set the relationships for your first cousin four times removed and then if you added his or her children, they will not show up as related in the lower left hand corner of the RM screen. If that's the problem, then you need to run Tools>Set Relationships again.

The underlying problem is that Tools>Set Relationships is static rather than dynamic. RM's Color Coding and Named Groups features have the same problem. I am eagerly awaiting to see if this situation is improved in RM8.

Jerry