32 replies to this topic

#21 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 02:08 PM

Vyger,  as a former software engineer myself, we called It “Vaporware”.  Look it up.

I’m not saying that RM8 does not exist, just saying that not having code, but having a Demo version, is a real thing!

#22 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 03:52 PM

Ha! My statement is true. Been there, done that. But that knowledge does not prove or deny the existence of RM8. Neither does having demo ware - which was my point.

Vyger,  as a former software engineer myself, we called It “Vaporware”.  Look it up.

I’m not saying that RM8 does not exist, just saying that not having code, but having a Demo version, is a real thing!

I suppose with 6 weeks to Christmas we will know who is right or wrong, personally I will be very surprised if there is no declaration by then.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Genealogy software comparison and how to videos

Root

#23 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 06:31 PM

I suppose with 6 weeks to Christmas we will know who is right or wrong, personally I will be very surprised if there is no declaration by then.

Prepare to be surprised unpleasantly unless you mean xmas 2021 or 22. We have had 2 years of "demos" and teasers with not even a beta to show for it.

#24 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3560 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:10 PM

Prepare to be surprised unpleasantly unless you mean xmas 2021 or 22. We have had 2 years of "demos" and teasers with not even a beta to show for it.

Family Historian 7 is also well overdue, their last release was around the time of RM7.

Regardless I am not a Mac user and have plenty of research to keep me busy until new and more useful software is "ready" I certainly don't want to be frustrated with software which is not yet ready, I have better things to do so xmas 2021 won't bother me unduly.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0.3, Rootsmagic 7.6.5

Genealogy software comparison and how to videos

Root

#25 michaeltuffs

michaeltuffs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 06:53 AM

Like others, I only purchased a second copy of RM7 to get RM8, which is how it was marketed. Why would I want a second copy of RM7?

I am beginning to feel that perhaps I have been scammed - I really hope that is not the case! It seems to me that announcing RM8 in the way in which it was, was a mistake. It should not have been announced so publicly, early and "sold" when it was at most in beta. I understand the issues with beta etc., but the marketing of it was a very bad mistake. This is now dragging on and the whole issue does not reflect well on RM.

I have been loyal to RM and would like to continue to be - but at some point my resolve will wane. I think it is time you were up front about release now - is it 2020, 2021 etc. I know you don't want to give a release date as such, but it has got to the point where people need to be convinced this version is going to happen.

#26 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3984 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:33 AM

I know you don't want to give a release date as such, but it has got to the point where people need to be convinced this version is going to happen.

I have tried to be very patient and supportive of RM. I know that developing and marketing software is very hard, and that unanticipated problems can arise. If RM8 doesn't make it out the door by the end of 2020, I do think that some sort of statement needs to be released about the status of RM8. Such a statement doesn't need to provide a firm release date, but it needs to include enough information about what has caused some of the delays and what the remaining tasks are to give users some confidence. We users are the people who pay the bills for RM. We need to be treated with respect and even to a certain extent as partners in this grand venture called RM8.

Jerry

#27 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 11:30 AM

According to online company tracking of RM, with <10 company employees and $1.5M in revenue, maybe it's time to hire a couple of software contractors to get this stuff out the door!

#28 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 08:08 AM

Codeweaver has demonstrated some windows apps running on the new Apple mac silicon under rosetta 2 translation.  For mac users able to tolerate the RM7 kludge approach this is good news. 

https://appleinsider...n-apple-silicon

#29 KenRip

KenRip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:35 PM

I have tried to be very patient and supportive of RM. I know that developing and marketing software is very hard, and that unanticipated problems can arise. If RM8 doesn't make it out the door by the end of 2020, I do think that some sort of statement needs to be released about the status of RM8. Such a statement doesn't need to provide a firm release date, but it needs to include enough information about what has caused some of the delays and what the remaining tasks are to give users some confidence. We users are the people who pay the bills for RM. We need to be treated with respect and even to a certain extent as partners in this grand venture called RM8.

Jerry

100% agree, Jerry. Simple information is invaluable. I have much more patient with information than without it. In that regard, while "previews" are interesting, it really doesn't satisfy impatience. But knowing that "we're working abc, and are trying to solve xyz" goes a long way in customer happiness. And, when someone asks the question "when", I would rather hear no responses by the clientele, then the dismissive "It will be ready when it is ready." 

--Ken

#30 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 01:42 PM

Well said!

At this point it has become reasonable to question whether RM8 will ever appear. Mac customers are gone, even windows users are concerned and prolonged development costs must be straining Bruce's company to the limit. Cash out..none in. 

#31 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 09 December 2020 - 09:13 PM

Well said!

At this point it has become reasonable to question whether RM8 will ever appear. Mac customers are gone, even windows users are concerned and prolonged development costs must be straining Bruce's company to the limit. Cash out..none in. 

#32 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 December 2020 - 09:49 AM

I too am awaiting RM8.  I am a mac user that has not left.  Having written software in my past life, I also understand how complex and difficult a complete re-write of a program can be.

I, like many of you I'm sure, would rather wait for a finished product that has not been rushed to market.

In my very humble opinion, the biggest mistake RM made was raising expectations last year when they started offering free upgrades.  Expectations that they later had to back track on due to the complexity of the rewrite.

#33 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8796 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:23 PM

For those interested in RootsMagic 8 the discussions will be on our RootsMagic 8 Community Preview Facebook page. The RootsMagic forums will be retired in the near future, due to no migration path to move forward and having become a security concern. For now you can continue to use the forums to discuss RootsMagic 7. The RootsMagic Blog gives information on joining the RootsMagic 8 Community Preview. 

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3438

Renee
RootsMagic