8 replies to this topic

#1 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

My husband is taking over my old computer which has RootsMagic on it. The RootsMagic registration is for my version.

Since we both have taken advantage of the ability to publish RootsMagic online, my husband has his own registered version of the software. 

How can we remove my registration so he can register his own version?

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:50 AM

I think the RM license lets you have one version on multiple computers in a household as long as only ONE is in use at a time.

One way to solve your problem would be to remove RM from your old computer and then let your husband install RM all over again with his registration code.

Then on your new computer [but you did not mention a new one], install RM with your registration code.

I believe that this would satisfy the license police.

Another solution for a family with just one computer is to have multiple user accounts. That way your genealogy files don't get mixed up with his.  Same thing for Word files, Excel files etc.

#3 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 01:27 PM

Since he wants his own RootsMagic web site, we need two licenses.

He has already tried uninstalling the software. When it is reinstalled, it is licensed to me. I'm guessing there is something hidden in the registry - but that is just a guess.

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:52 PM

Another option: Install his RootsMagic code on your computer.  You use his registration. He uses your registration. License police are happy.

There is some obscure keystroke code using a combination of keystroke codes with maybe [ctrl] + [esc] + [alt] + [something else].

It resets RootsMagic and probably deletes the file association you carefully setup.  And maybe something else.  

However, I was not able to find it in the help files.  It has been posted on this user site before. And whatever it is, I have never used it.

If you ever find it, make certain you have a good external backup first.

You have two licenses for your household and presumably two computers. Personally, I would not worry about it, but I do not create a RM website.  Might make a difference.

#5 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

IIRC your registration key is stored in a .xml file. Mine is located at "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\RootsMagic\Version 7\RootsMagicUser.xml". If you delete this file it should ask for a key the next time you start. You will also lose all customization/program settings.

#6 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:23 PM

call rootsmagic tech support. they can either tell you how to fix this or swap registration keys at their end.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:09 AM

A CTL-U from within RM will reset the RM product registration key on one of your two computers. At this point, you can enter your other product key so that one computer is running on one product key and the other computer is running on the other product key. That way each computer can have their own separate account at myrootsmagic.com, which is the need your household has that needs to be met. And after all, you have paid for both product keys.

CTL-U is a rather global reset, so after doing so you will need to re-establish things like RM's default folders and any saved passwords. But it does cause any data to be lost.

Jerry

#8 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 09:07 AM

Almost right. <g>

Type Ctrl+Shift+U and select [Reset Registration Information].

Tested and it does what is wanted without removing the settings in Program Options.

#9 mcphilbrick

mcphilbrick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:40 PM

Jim is correct. Ctrl+Shift+U was confirmed by chat with RM before I saw Jim's message. The sequence to delete the RootsMagicUser.xml did not work. My husband is up and running with his registration.