• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 virstens

virstens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

My mother wrote her life history in long hand.  i was plan on scanning it into a pdf? Just wondering where i should put the info in RM7. 

#2 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:04 PM

This sounds like a source to me and should be associated with a master source that then can be used as a citation for facts about your mother.

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 05:12 PM

You could also transcribe it and add it as a note or biography to her "edit person" sheet. I have "biography" as a fact, but I cannot recollect whether it was native to RM7 or if I added it myself.

#4 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:42 PM

Good idea Robert!  Biography is not native GEDCOM so you could add it as a custom fact!  I have done this with facts about books written by, paintings by, and other notable things done by a family member.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:15 AM

I have a user defined fact for individuals called Narrative and another one for couples called Family Narrative. I usually include items such as your mother's life history in RM's Note field for the Narrative or Family Narrative fact. The only thing that really prints is the Note field, but I use the Date field and Sort Date field to place the facts in the appropriate locations in RM's reports. 

Stories such as your mother's life history to me are classic examples of information that is both a fact and a source. Depending on how long your mother's life history is, embedding it in a narrative report of some kind with the rest of the family may or may not be the best presentation and the life history might be best used only as a source. An alternative to embedding it within a larger report might be to make it into a separate chapter using RM's Publisher feature. And there is always the possibility that the best tool to present your mother's life history might not be RM. It might be RM's Personal Historian product or it might be Microsoft Word (or something equivalent to Personal Historian or Microsoft Word).

Jerry

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:36 AM

I also use fact types "Biography" and "Family Oral History" for these types of entries. (I also do not recall if these were native to RM or if I created them.) I had not considered also making them sources, but that is a good idea.

Rick

RickL

#7 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:23 AM

That would be both a source and a media item or note.

The scanned pages saved as one PDF file could be added as a media item for her biography fact. You could also copy the text from the pdf and paste it into a note or a word processing document. 

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1584 posts

Posted 29 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

I have a user-defined fact called "Obituary". Images from newspapers get attached here, and transcriptions go into the Note field. Those notes print in the narrative reports.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3955 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:39 AM

I have a user-defined fact called "Obituary". Images from newspapers get attached here, and transcriptions go into the Note field. Those notes print in the narrative reports.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have user-defined fact types called Narrative and Family Narrative. I also have a user defined  fact type called Obituary that works exactly as zhangrau describes. And in all truth, I really I have quite a few more such user-defined fact types that are nothing more than notes that can appear at designated places in a person's timeline, rather than appearing at the end of a person's timeline as does RM's general note. Among these "note only" fact types are Birth Announcement, Birth Certificate, Birth Index, Burial Inscription, Court Record, Death Record, Divorce Record, Deed, Land Grant, Marriage Announcement, Marriage Narrative, Newspaper Article, Tax List, Voter Registration, Wedding Announcement, and Wedding Invitation. There are actually a few more that I use very infrequently.

All of these fact types have several things in common. They are all "note only". The sentence template does not include a date or place or the person's name - just the name of the fact. The date field is enabled, but only to place the fact in the correct place in the person's timeline and the [Date] and [Place] and [Person] variables do not appear in the sentence template. Often the things like the date and place and the person's name already appear in the note. These fact types in some sense are really sources rather than facts, and many users would treat them that way. But I like to treat them as both sources and facts to enhance a person's timeline and life history as they appear in reports. And by being separate fact types rather than being, for example, just notes for built-in fact types such as birth, marriage, and death, I can choose to include them or not include them in reports by editing the Fact Type list. The Fact Type list does need to be much easier to edit by they way. I would like to be able to call it up in RM as a spreadsheet and then to just check and uncheck boxes in the spreadsheet to enable and disable options for the various fact types.

Jerry

#10 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 09:35 AM

I have a user defined fact called "Letter".  I was fortunate to have dozens of transcribed letters from a distant relative.  The fact says "He/she wrote a letter on 1-JAN-1990 to Some person." Then the letter fact note includes the transcription.

Then narrative reports can either include the letter text or not include it.  I have not tried this fact with scanned images of letters not transcribed.

There is one problem for transcribed letters from an unknown person who is not in the database. If I add the unknown person with his/her letter, that person's letter is almost lost.  Therefore, I cheat and enter it under the person who received the letter with appropriate notation.

I have sent cousins scanned copies of WWII servicemen's letters.  This includes front and back of envelopes and each page.

#11 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:20 PM

This is a more detailed description of file folders for scanned letters from WWII. [or other wars]

Under Scanned Documents folder

WWII Letters [Folder for WW11 letters]

Uncle #1 [Folder for all letters from Uncle #1]

Letter from England_17_MAR_1944 {folder for this letter]

Envelope England_17_MAR_1944 [This file is a scan of the envelope]

Back of envelope if needed

Page 1 _17_MAR_1944 [These three files are scans of Pages 1, 2, and 3 of the letter]

Page 2 _17_MAR_1944

Page 3 _17_MAR_1944

Letter from England_27_MAR_1944 [This  another folder for the 27_MAR-1944 letter]

Envelope England_27_MAR_1944

Back of envelope if needed

Page 1 _27_MAR_1944

Page 2 _27_MAR_1944

Then I would repeat more folders for other WWII soldiers/or Navy men.

Also more folders for letters from my grandparents to each of my uncles.

It looks more complicated than it really is.

#12 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1694 posts

Posted 31 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

Another possible fact type could be correspondence, which would in my opinion include emails, notes, & letters.  Using common fill ins like letter/email from, subject, date, to, type of or ... 

Why notes?, many times you probably will write down information that you received by a phone call, or an abstracted bits from an e mail.

A letter/email/notes are in my opinion a source.  3 different sources by type. 

To use a fact like letter or.... makes it hard when you have 25 letters from one person with so much information. So I have used that person's letter as a source/citation when I add the information to my RM database. So the citation is the same except for each letter but the date is different in RM is when I received the letter and abstract the information received and fill in the comments section. In the section of the Citation Manager, first box I start it with This letter says, "  " if I quote it exactly I use quotes. If it is abstracted I state that in the beginning of the sentence like The abstracted information is ...

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0