• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 virstens

virstens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:42 AM

the Norweigns back into the 1800s and before could have a different last name than the father. Ole's son could have Olson as a last name.  or there last name changed when they moved to a different farm..My grandfather was Steinsland when he was born. When he came through Ellis Island the first time in 1904,  his name stayed Steinsland.  sometime around 1910 when he became a citizen, he changed his name  to Stensland.. Then when he returned to Norway to get married , in 1914,  and returned thru Elis Island the second time he used Stensland.   At what point , in the software and family tree, do i use the old name and when do i change to the current last name, where would i note this for future generations to understand..  I have been troubled with this for sometime and thought i could reach out to you good members for help.  

#2 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:02 AM

I recently wrote an article about my use of GEDCOM for this type of thing.  I does not work in RM7 because it does not support GEDCOM completely but it may help you understand some things and open up a few other questions.  Here is a portion of that article:

In Norway, before 1924, people were not required to have a surname that was passed on to future generation. Many people took names from the farm they lived on as surnames after 1924.

Very often, like today in Iceland, people did not have surnames but took the name identifier as their father’s son or dotter, along with their current farm name.

The way I enter these people, which is more than half of my ancestors is:

1 NAME Oskar Pederson Bruflot
2 GIVN Oskar

What this tells me is that the individual did not have a surname (no //), has a given name with the Patronymic name and the current farm (Bruflot).

If the person was of a family group, such as a direct ancestor of my grandfather or grandmother I add a surname from that family group, such as Olsen.

This then creates a “OLSEN” sort entry in the surname list so they are found with all of the other Olsen family that truly had a surname of Olsen.

1 NAME Oskar Pederson Bruflot
2 GIVN Oskar
2 SURN Olsen

Another example could be:

1 NAME Ole Johannes Toresen
2 GIVN Ole Johannes
2 SURN Olsen, Førde

Toresen is a patronymic name, not a surname. Olsen and Førde are two surname grouping for sorting purposes only, displayed as “OLSEN” or “FØRDE” in surname lists to organize them with others that have that surname or are of that group/ancestors.

For those few people that lived in the transition time I make two NAME entries.

1 NAME Maria Olsdotter Bruflot
2 GIVN Maria
2 SURN Olsen
2 TYPE birth
1 NAME Maria /Bruflot/
2 GIVN Maria
2 SURN Bruflot
2 TYPE aka

This then shows that she was born with one name and later took a different name, she would show up in both the Bruflot name list and the OLSEN name list.

#3 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:15 AM

The last bit about Maria Bruflot, is about her transitioning from a patronymic name (Maria Olsdottor) living on Bruflot farm to the post 1924 name with a true surname of Maria Bruflot.  She never married and was the sister to Olaf Olsen (he used his partronymic name as his surname in 1924).  We took yet a different name that was made up from old Norse name parts.

#4 cj1260

cj1260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 02:20 PM

In RM7, my Norwegian ancestors are listed under their Americanized names. I then add the 'Alternate Name' fact to them to capture any other names that were used. I then add a note to that explaining the name change.