4 replies to this topic

#1 FOVeteran

FOVeteran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

I'm trying to print a pedigree chart for a cousin, but I can't seem to get it to look right. Everything is crunched up and tiny writing. I've tried increasing the font. Can someone give me a suggestion as to what I might be doing wrong?

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 05:00 PM

See https://support.root...t-When-Printing

#3 FOVeteran

FOVeteran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:13 AM

I've used RM since day one and Family Origins. It's been a long time since I needed a pedigree chart, so I don't know which version screwed it up, but RM7 sucks at making charts now. Soooo disappointed. I tried changing my computer resolution and liked to never got it back to where I could do anything outside of RM, much less even work in RM. So that solution is no good. I tried saving a chart to .rtf, but too hard to use. I tried using RM Charts for the first time and it looks really time consuming. The first thing I wanted to do was increase the size of some fonts and couldn't even figure out how to do that. 

This has me reconsidering my unwavering support for RM.

#4 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 06:39 AM

I have hesitated adding my 2c  but I have had similar issues with RM  charting and I have found a solution that works for me but outside of RM.

I have been using FamilyHistorian V6 for my charts. I get several basic benefits from FH charts that I have not found anywhere else.

1. While GEDCOM standards get in the way of  clean data transfer I have found that all the data needed for charts are transferred without  hitch.

2. I get the ability to chart everyone in my database without a restriction of how many generations away they are so I get to see third cousins if I want. I can map out all the people I want that are affecting  particular family group beyond what RM allows.

3. The output from FH charts are of a sufficient quality that I can create a JPEG or PDF file of sufficient quality that I can go to my local printer and get a chart for a fraction of the cost of going with online genealogy printers.

4. I can also modify the output of the chart in many ways, so many that I have not even researched some of the modifications yet.

5. I was also trying to map out medical history to try to correlate DNA analyzed medical conditions with actual observed medical conditions. I was able to add these items to my chart, including special fact types and associate them with symbols so that I get a nice chart showing hereditary medical issues on a nice concise chart.

Anyway this is just what I found that works for me and does not mean I am leaving RM anytime soon or ever. I have found that RM provides too many other benefits to give up.  You can get a trial version of FH at their site an use it for 30 days before purchasing. https://www.family-historian.co.uk/

#5 FOVeteran

FOVeteran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:26 AM

#4 icon_share.pngthanks, NEreswearcher