2 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:28 AM

With RM's interface to FamilySearch, each matched person in RM has a FamilySearch icon that can be clicked to go directly to the matching person in FamilySearch Family Tree. Not everybody in your RM database is matched to a person in FamilySearch Family Tree but each matched person is identified with this very useful icon.

It occurs to me that TreeShare needs the same kind of icon for each person who is "matched" to ancestry. TreeShare does not use the same "matched" terminology as does RM's FamilySearch interface, but it's the same concept. When you first download a new ancestry tree to a new RM database or vice versa, each person in your RM database is "matched" behind the scenes to a person in the connected ancestry tree. After an initial TreeShare, you get "unmatched" people between RM only as the result of additions or deletions or merges. So it sure would be handy to go straight from an RM person to the corresponding ancestry person just like you can with FamilySearch.

What you have to do instead is to open TreeShare and then navigate to the same person in the TreeShare screen. Doing so can be a major pain. It's a major pain anyway, but more and more I'm finding that my RM locks up for 20 or 30 or 40 seconds if I type in a name on the TreeShare screen to navigate to a person. If I'm lucky enough to have an ancestry WebHint, I can click on the light bulb and get the to "matching" person right away. But often I don't have an ancestry WebHint even though there are shaky leaves for the person on ancestry.

My computer runs Windows 10 with 16GB memory, a quad core processor, and a solid state disk. For most tasks, it runs very crisply and fast, so it should have more than sufficient horsepower to run TreeShare effectively. I don't know what's going on in RM when it seems to get locked up when I type a name into TreeShare, but Windows Task Manager says that it is consuming huge amounts of CPU time. It doesn't appear to be waiting for ancestry to respond.

We don't know yet how many of the various TreeShare problems are fixed in RM8, and for all we know the TreeShare feature I'm requesting might exist in RM8. But if not, perhaps it could be added after RM8 is out the door and is stable.

Jerry

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 07:37 PM

That's an obviously useful enhancement and seemingly easy enough to implement. I just did a crude SQLite query to generate the URLs from a RM database that open the "facts" page for the TreeShare linked person on Ancestry. The URL is of the form:

https://www.ancestry.ca/family-tree/person/tree/treenumber/person/personnumber/facts

The LinkAncestryTable contains the person's RM Record Number and the values of treenumber and personnumber in a string in the extID column.

The query I used parsed extID as it appeared in my database and may not suit all:

SELECT 
  rmID
  , 'https://www.ancestry.ca/family-tree/person/tree/'||SUBSTR(extID,-9)||'/person/'||SUBSTR(extID,1,12) AS URL 
FROM LinkAncestryTable
WHERE LinkType=0;

Edited by TomH, 10 October 2020 - 07:40 PM.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic