14 replies to this topic

#1 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

Nothing for a few days, and a post I thought I'd put up in "Issues" seems to have disappeared. Anyone home?

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 02:10 PM

Everything seems to be there: http://forums.rootsmagic.com/

Issues: http://forums.rootsm...orum/39-issues/

~ Debbie

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 08:56 PM

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3504 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

I believe, and stand to be corrected, most likely Renee made a statement that Rootsmagic would be preferring the Facebook group for future wishes and discussions. That statement was likely made on Facebook so finding it again is mostly impossible as Facebook is a very transient platform and difficult to search.

The reasoning was not explained but I do know another software I uses actively pushes posters from Facebook to their user group with most questions except the most basic. I do wonder if Rootsmagic have taken the decision that a less permanent record of problems and wishes is preferable in the future and with new membership to this forums not being allowed it will slowly die.

The other piece of software I mentioned also maintains a structured wish list where your wish is assessed before acceptance and then other users can then add their vote to it. Personally I prefer this transparent and collaborative approach to development but it may not suit RM. Facebook is so transient that simple questions are often repeated several times in the space of a week and I have all but drifted away from wasting my time replying.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:27 AM

This longtime user since Family Origins Version 2 has no intention of ever using Facebook!!!

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 09:33 AM

I participate in RM's Facebook group, but I find doing so to be very frustrating. I understand why users are attracted to it, but it does not seem to me to be a very effective way to convey information. I wish the Facebook group would push users back to here, and I wish this forum would enable the ability to post images.

Jerry

#7 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

FWIW I too detest Facebook and hope that this forum continues to flourish.

#8 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:03 PM

I dislike the Facebook interface!  I can never return to a message that I found yesterday let alone last week or last month if I did not comment in it. FTM uses Facebook for its questions and I see the same questions repeated over and over.  But of course software companies only want a single interface to their clients/users and because groups are easy to find in Facebook, maintain and secure as opposed to rolling your own forum on your own website they happily move to Facebook.  Security and more importantly product messaging (Complaint removal, blocking/banning) is easier on Facebook than your own forum.  And of course the “way back machine” does not backup Facebook.

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 10 October 2020 - 05:51 PM

Facebook is free for RM Inc as it is supported by ads. This forum software is way out of date, costs a fair chunk to upgrade and has a hosting burden that may not be out-of-pocket but is a demand on time for admin.

Have any of you not tried the groups.io successor to the old RootsMagic-Users mailing list? It is independent of RM Inc. https://groups.io/g/RootsMagic-Users/

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

I started programming in 1972 and I have not found anything better than a well attended and reactive forum like the RM site. I have tried Facebook but gave up on that since it was so unstructured that, like others, have found it is poor at providing useful information in an easily retrievable way.

I have also tried a groups.io interface with another vendor and while it does provide good information it still can not hold a candle to the RM forum format. I will try the RM group.io just to see what I may be missing.

I hope this forum never goes away since user support will suffer greatly.

#11 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 10:58 AM

I've been an RM user for several years now and I have used the forum with good success. I'd hate to see it go away. It has helped solve numerous issues for me. As someone else stated, I have no intension of using Facebook. For other, unrelated, reasons, I do not use that platform. I also hope this forum never goes away since user support will suffer greatly.

Rick

RickL

#12 adkguide

adkguide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:06 PM

Facebook is free for RM Inc as it is supported by ads. This forum software is way out of date, costs a fair chunk to upgrade and has a hosting burden that may not be out-of-pocket but is a demand on time for admin.

Have any of you not tried the groups.io successor to the old RootsMagic-Users mailing list? It is independent of RM Inc. https://groups.io/g/RootsMagic-Users/

I joined it yesterday and found the range of topics being discussed very useful.  I also use the IO groups with another community and find it very easy to use and navigate.

Rich

#13 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:57 AM

Rootsmagic forums are very helpful to me for learning and ideas from others on using software and data. No sane person would use facebook and it sounds like it is not even useful even while stealing your information.

Unfortunately the absence of a native mac RM8 has killed the mac forum as users have left.

#14 Mad dog

Mad dog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:52 PM

Eventho I use the FB group, I would much prefer to keep THIS forum going. I can find answers here easier. When people buy a product, they expect to find support from that company rather then another business. My 2 cents.

#15 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:39 AM

The Family Tree Maker (my RM8 alternative) forum on Ancestry is also relatively useless. There are expert users who run and respond to questions but the issues raised are very low level with no learning value to others (ie why does my prehistoric version of FTM not work well).

The remaining rootsmagic discussion forum covers real issues and ideas from experienced users with significant learning value to intermediate users like myself. This responsive support arena and the focused print manual from Bruce add unique support value among genealogy software companies.