• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hendro

hendro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

I recently had to change my password in Family Search.  I decided to use a pass phrase instead of just as single word.  That means I have multiple words separated by spaces.  Family Search accepted it just fine but when I try to access Family Search info in Roots Magic, RM says my password is wrong.  Then when I try to exit RM I get an access violation and the only way to exit RM is to go into Task Manager and kill the Roots Magic process.  I assume that RM is not passing my phrase and is cutting my password off at the first space after the first word.

Please fix RM so that it allows the same passwords that the supported genealogy sites support.  Also fix the issue about the access violation killing RM. Any access violation should not kill the application and make it impossible to exit in a normal fashion. Thanks.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:35 PM

We have to go by what the FT API allows for passwords. You could try put a dash between your words in your phrase. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 hendro

hendro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

We have to go by what the FT API allows for passwords. You could try put a dash between your words in your phrase. 

Wow, that is really inconvenient when one can login using one set of criteria but the FT API doesn't support it.  Who do I complain to?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

FamilySearch has control over their logins and API. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 hendro

hendro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:35 PM

OK, I reset my password to use dashes instead of spaces.  I can login to FamilySearch just fine. First time in RM I used dashes and it logged me in on and I told it to remember my password but I noticed that no WebHints would display.   Now when I try to log in through RM it fails to login and locks me out of FS.  I know I have it set right in RM.  I have even tried to retype my password to no avail.  I realize that the API uses a different criteria for passwords, but I could not find any documentation in RM that told me what any limitations are????  Is there a limit on the length?  What are valid characters?  I use this ID and password in other places where I need authentications.  The only place I have a problem is in RM.

#6 hendro

hendro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 04:50 PM

OK, found my problem.  I retyped in my password very carefully and it finally logged me in.  But webhints still were not working.  Finally found FamilySearch in File Options and saw you have to set the password there too.  Now it's all working! Ahhhhhh! Thanks.

#7 hendro

hendro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:43 PM

Ahhhhh! I'm going crazy!  RM is back to not letting me log into FS.  It was working and I just upgraded to the latest release,  Now it's not.  I went into File Options and had to reset the password (using dashes) there.  Then click on the FamilySearch icon at the top.  I enter my userid and the same password (being very careful) and the login fails.  I go back to the FS Website to make sure I am not locked out.  I log out and back in just fine with the same password using dashes.  What the heck is going ON!!!  Why do I have to enter the same password in two different places to get webhints???? Very frustrated with RM right now.

#8 hendro

hendro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:48 PM

I

Ahhhhh! I'm going crazy!  RM is back to not letting me log into FS.  It was working and I just upgraded to the latest release,  Now it's not.  I went into File Options and had to reset the password (using dashes) there.  Then click on the FamilySearch icon at the top.  I enter my userid and the same password (being very careful) and the login fails.  I go back to the FS Website to make sure I am not locked out.  I log out and back in just fine with the same password using dashes.  What the heck is going ON!!!  Why do I have to enter the same password in two different places to get webhints???? Very frustrated with RM right now.

I no sooner write this message and I go back into RM click on login in FamilySearch and it logs me in.  The inconsistency is nuts.