Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:11 AM

The two new features:

1. Reusable citations
  2. Customised citation sentences

appear to be quite useful developments. They open up possibilities but maybe some traps.

While a customised citation sentence can be reverted to machine-generated from the citation editor, what happens to it if editing is done to the values in the master source and citation fields or in the source template? If the custom override prevents any of that rippling through, is there any warning about the customised citations that were unaffected by those edits?

Another trap may be needing to transfer a number of reuses (instances?) of a given citation to a different (existing or new) citation. Is the only course of action a delete and create anew?

Another observation: I noticed a Name citation (yeay, exposed as promised) but did not see where it was tagged in the Edit Person window. The primary name shows beside the "Person" label just as in RM7, to which "General" citations are tagged.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:37 AM

I have similar questions/concerns. I think I will need to get my hands on the software and play with it extensively in order fully to understand the implications of the new facilities. I hope the beta testers are asking the same questions.

The reusable citations and an actual citation list separate from the source list are something I have long advocated for. But there remains a question of whether and how you can "memorize and paste" a reusable citation into a new and independent citation. This one sounds like a great idea, but I suspect there may yet be a devil in the details.

To tell you the truth, the customized citation sentences sounds like a workaround that I am very uncomfortable with. For example, the feature would enable you to take care of a misplaced comma or space in a built-in Source Template which then becomes a workaround instead of fixing the error in the Source Template. Or the feature would enable you to make a minor tweak to a citation sentence that might better be handled by copying and tweaking a built in Source Template itself. But right now in RM7, unless you copy and tweak a built-in Source Template before using the built-in Source Template, you are stuck with the built in Source Template forever. And will customized citation sentences become yet one more thing that is lost on a drag and drop? So this one sounds like a workaround and a trap and possibly not such a good idea.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:23 AM

I think the customizable citation process will duplicate that of the custom event sentence. It, too, needs to have some way to flag those instances which are custom and won't be affected by an edit of the role sentence template for that fact type. And the option to reset all such instances. And maybe reset all such instances within a subset of the database, e.g., a named group or a colour code.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.