6 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:43 PM

I have a question regarding a problem that has just shown up in the past few days.

I was using the RM7 websearch tool to search Family Search. This tool has worked fine for me previously. 

When I select Family Search, the following popup message appears. 

"Attention: This site does not support the current version of your web browser. To get the best possible experience using our website we recommend that you upgrade to a newer version or install another browser."

I've checked my Google browser and it's version is up to date. I have also checked the browser options that Family Search offers, and mine is listed. I have gone to the Family Search website and tried using my browser independent of RM7. It worked perfectly.

All this makes me wonder if there is a problem with the RM7 tool?

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion regarding how to fix this?

Thanks
Rick

RickL

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:10 PM

All this makes me wonder if there is a problem with the RM7 tool?

Kinda sorta. If you have not checkmarked the Use external browser checkbox (above the Pick a Search Provider button) then FamilySearch complains about RoostsMagic default use of an Internet Explorer-based browser tool. Do the checkmarking and it will use your default Windows browser (which sounds like Google Chrome from your mention) .

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:08 PM

Kinda sorta. If you have not checkmarked the Use external browser checkbox (above the Pick a Search Provider button) then FamilySearch complains about RoostsMagic default use of an Internet Explorer-based browser tool. Do the checkmarking and it will use your default Windows browser (which sounds like Google Chrome from your mention) .

Can you please explain your first line above and where in which program are you discussing. Regards

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

Can you please explain your first line above and where in which program are you discussing. Regards

Rootsmagic uses a programmable (embeddable) version of the Internet Explorer browser engine (by default) for its display of web-based info for the WebSearch tab results. In the course of program upgrades, the ability to use an external browser (Windows default browser) was added. At some point in recent years, FamilySearch began disallowing the use of Internet Explorer (other websites still allow its use). But, in order to overcome that FamilySearch restriction, one needs to ensure the <Use external browser> checkbox is checkmarked.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:15 PM

Rootsmagic uses a programmable (embeddable) version of the Internet Explorer browser engine (by default) for its display of web-based info for the WebSearch tab results. In the course of program upgrades, the ability to use an external browser (Windows default browser) was added. At some point in recent years, FamilySearch began disallowing the use of Internet Explorer (other websites still allow its use). But, in order to overcome that FamilySearch restriction, one needs to ensure the <Use external browser> checkbox is checkmarked.

Thanks for the reply. I have since located the area you mentioned. Regards

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

Bingo!  I was aware of the use external browser issue, and I have always had it checked. However, I guess I forgot that. I re-checked it and it solved the problem. 

Thanks very much

Rick

RickL

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:44 PM

I forgot to mention that I remember this happened once before following a Windows update. Not sure if that turned off the check, but I am pretty sure I did not.....for what it is worth

Rick

RickL