8 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:39 AM

I have just updated to RM7 and all is working well except the to go version app on my iPhone.  Previously, RM6, if I changed some information in the program on my laptop, I would replace the master file to the dropbox app folder and after a couple minutes on the iPhone, I would get a message that a newer file has been found and would I like to use this new file (or something like that).  I would say yes and the new file was put in quickly. 

Now, on RM7  it does not seem to do this.  I have to go to the files section on the iPhone and click the family file (only have one) and it has to download it and it says it will be my default file. 

What am I missing to have it update automatically like it did before?

Thank You.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:33 PM

The change is in Dropbox. Now it won't even over-write the old file by the same name if you left it in there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 01:14 PM

OK so is there a fix in the works?  I assume RM has contacted Dropbox and told them of the problem.  Thanks for your reply.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:22 AM

I doubt Dropbox sees this as an issue. It is an intentional design. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:29 AM

I haven't looked at this issue in a long time, so I took a new look at what the Dropbox changes might have wrought. I don't think the changes are an improvement.

When you do a File>Save To Dropbox for Apps...  from within RM for the first time, it creates a new folder in Dropbox called Apps\RootsMagic and stores your RM database there. That's where the RM App on your iPhone or iPad expects to find your RM database. Previous to the changes, you could see the Apps\RootsMagic folder within your Dropbox folder on your local hard disk. Indeed, I most typically would have updated my RM database for my iPhone simply by using Windows File Explorer on my Windows 10 machine to copy my RM database from it's existing location to the Apps\RootsMagic folder within the Dropbox folder on my local hard disk and then Dropbox would sync up as normal. The next time I used the RootsMagic app on my iPhone or iPad, I would get the newest version of my RM database.

With the Dropbox change, the Apps\RootsMagic folder no longer appears on my local hard disk. You can see it only by looking at your Dropbox files in the cloud. Your Dropbox app on your iPhone can obviously see the folder because that's where it finds your RM database for the RM app on the iPhone. Not being able to see the Apps\RootsMagic folder on your local Windows machine is a terrible design that serves no good  purpose. I don't know why the change was made.

It is correct that File>Save To Dropbox for Apps...  from within RM no longer overwrites the previous version of your RM database that your iPhone or iPad was using. Instead, new versions are added with version numbers such as (1) and (2) etc. You can see and choose these new versions from your iPhone or iPad. If you don't like the version numbers, you can go into your Dropbox account in the cloud where you can delete the old version of your RM database in Apps\RootsMagic and rename the new version not to have the version number. As I said before, this is a terrible design that serves no good purpose. There is nothing that RM users can do about it except to complain to Dropbox.

In case anybody is curious, I do have all the Windows 10 options for viewing hidden folders enabled. It's possible that the folder in question is still mirrored to my local hard disk and I just can't see it. But if so, I can't find the option to make it visible.

Jerry

#6 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:07 PM

Thank you Jerry for looking into this.  I was told long ago in ver. 6 to not do a File>save to drop box for apps but instead to copy the most current master file on the laptop into the Apps>RM drop box in file explorer.  It was working fine and when I opened  RM app after a minute or so, it saw the newer file and asked me if I wanted to update it.  That no longer happens.  On my windows10 laptop in file explorer I have a folder for Apps and that is where I put the master file copy but there is no sub-folder for RM..thought there was at one time as you expressed.  So for now, I have to copy the new file in explorer and when I open the iPhone app I go to the bottom left for files and click on drop box and it finds the newer one and uploads it..kind of untimely but It works..Should I continue doing as such or should I be using the file>save to drop box for apps now on RM7?

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

I doubt if it really makes any difference. Whichever way works for you is fine. I'm going to experiment a little more by creating the old Apps/RootsMagic folder manually and testing to see if my iPhone can find it. But for now, I'm just using File>Save To Dropbox for Apps...  from within RM with the understanding that it will not replace and instead will create version numbers.

I do hope that new and currently accurate documentation for the process comes out after RM8 is delivered and is stable.

Jerry

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:38 PM

I need to post a correction. Or at least I think it's a correction. I'm not quite sure what's going on.

Those files and folders that I reported were in the Apps/RootsMagic folder within the Dropbox folder only in the cloud and not on my local hard drive are now visible on my local hard drive. I have no idea why they were not visible before. So my next test will be to update them directly from Windows File Explorer rather than using File>Save To Dropbox for Apps...  from within RM   If that works, then everything will be back to normal with respect to Dropbox and RM, at least on my own personal machine.

Jerry

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:29 PM

The follow-test works. Now that the Apps\RootsMagic folder is recreated and functioning, I can store directly into it without using File>Save To Dropbox for Apps...  from within RM and the RM database I stored a test RM database there with Windows File Explorer and it showed up just fine on my iPhone.

This is remindful of a situation I reported some time ago where I had both an Apps\RootsMagic folder and an Apps\RootsMagic(1) folder, so that the funny Windows version number thing was showing up both at the file level with my RMGC file and also at the folder level. I never solved that puzzle. I can only report that the Apps\RootsMagic(1) disappeared from my computer several months later without me taking any action to make it so. Dropbox is just doing some funny things sometimes.

It makes my wonder if this strangeness is related to the new feature in Dropbox where it sometimes will keep files only in the cloud instead of both in the cloud and on your local hard disk. I'm not fond of the feature and I do everything I can to be sure it's not in effect for any of my data. I'm just trying to understand how my Apps\RootsMagic folder could have disappeared without my knowledge or consent. I truly don't know.

Jerry