2 replies to this topic

#1 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:46 AM

Up to now I have not had any reason to pursue DNA since every person's genealogy that I have viewed so far has had significantly less data than I have had.

I was wondering if I do get my DNA tested how will RM7 help me? So far I see one fact that addresses DNA but it only records DNA data for that person. That data does not show up in a narrative report, group sheets, or individual summaries. I also see no way of sharing that DNA test even if the Mitochondrial or Y test are an exact match.

How should I record DNA in RM7 and how will that help me?

#2 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:55 AM

You're right about the lack of DNA support in RM7, though I believe other genealogy programs are equally bereft of useful features like matching.  What I do with my DNA information is capture it in a miscellaneous fact, with a brief description in the note, and with the full DNA report attached as a source media item.  You can then find it quickly.  

Note that no genealogy program is currently a DNA research tool; those functions exist outside of the programs.  On a philosophical note, I don't expect my genealogy program to capture every function of every aspect of family history research.  I extensively use external tools, such as complex time lines, LEEDs analysis, DNA reading, research log and task, even if there is some support built into the program.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#3 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:49 AM

Jim,

I agree that a genealogical program cannot be expected to do everything. However it would be nice if RM also supported an autosomal test as well as the Y and Mitochondrial test. What I was hoping to do was be able to tie various people together that link through DNA. I would probably share a DNA match between myself, the other match and then the common ancestor.

I may create my own fact type and place the DNA data in the note field. Perhaps as private but still contemplating that.

DNA can only go so far and then it is up to the individual to do the old fashioned research. Just linking a new person or line into mine is only the beginning. I want to know who these new people are and what their lives were like.