• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kidhazy

kidhazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

Any suggestions on how to use the Census fact type to records students at boarding schools during a census?

I've found a couple of my relatives (brothers) that were recorded (along with the other students) at a boarding school during a census.

Their parents appear in the same census, but at their home address.

I'd like to record the fact about the brothers being at the school, and the 2 different addresses (school and family house)

I've tried to create a new role within the census fact-type of 'student', but it looks like I still have to have a 'head' or main subject before I can share the fact and allocate the new role of 'student' to the brothers.  I didn't particularly want to enter the school-master as a 'head' of 'household'.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

#2 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:32 AM

I suspect you're over-thinking the issue. The "Principal" census role is adequate for anyone in non-family group settings. The sentence just reads "[person] appeared in the census< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>."  (e.g. "Joe Dokes appeared in the census in 1930 at Uppercrust Academy in Someplace, New Hampshire.") That's all one needs. 

#3 kidhazy

kidhazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:24 AM

I suspect you're over-thinking the issue. The "Principal" census role is adequate for anyone in non-family group settings. The sentence just reads "[person] appeared in the census< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>."  (e.g. "Joe Dokes appeared in the census in 1930 at Uppercrust Academy in Someplace, New Hampshire.") That's all one needs. 

You're probably right with the over-thinking.  I must be using a custom census fact which has a different default Principal sentence.

I have Fact-type: Census-England-1851 with default sentence "[Person:HeShe] appeared as head of household on the [Date:year] English Census <[Place:short]><, [Desc]>." 

I'll just override the default sentence for the student census facts.

Cheers.

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, I think it has to do with which Census fact template one picks.

#5 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:53 AM

This is what I do:

(1) I never used the shared fact for a census

(2) I never use the Residence Fact for a census

(3) I list the household members in the Research notes/comments of of the Census Source - this can easily and quickly done by cutting and pasting

(4)I I then add the Census Source to each member of the household recorded on the census return

(5) If an individual appears on an institutional return I add the Census Source as normal, and then list him/her as, e.g. "Joe Bloggs, servant, in the household of ..." , and include him/her in a truncated list of household members, recorded as Household Members (inter alia) in the Research notes/comments of the source

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:22 AM

For several reasons, I don't use shared facts for recording census data. Each person gets their own individualized census fact. I also create a census source, which is always a source for the census fact in question and which often is a source for other facts as well.

For people in a family grouping who are not head of household, my census note includes information about the head of household (e.g., "enumerated in the household of her grandmother Jane Doe"). For institutional census entries, I simply adjust this note to reflect the institutional relationship instead of the head of household relationship. For example, I have census entries where individuals were living in boarding houses, in poor houses, on poor farms, in college and university dormitories, and on military bases.

Jerry

#7 kidhazy

kidhazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:44 PM

Thanks all.  There's definitely many ways to skin this cat. I'll review and see what best fits with my requirements (main focus is narrative reports).

#8 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:20 PM

I create a census fact for every individual, no shared facts.  I create one census source (master source) for each location if the census was conducted by a different entity, other wise one source record is created.  Then I create an individual source citation for each fact that identifies the page and line of the census used.

Sometimes censuses are conducted by jurisdictions that are not national and therefore different master sources.

#9 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:49 AM

I, OTOH, use shared facts. I feel that they're there for a reason and it puts everything under one citation with no duplication. I've found two drawbacks to RM's shared facts but I believe (at least in my case) that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks:

1. They may not play well with other programs, as they aren't GEDCOM standard.
  2. It's too easy to share a fact with the wrong "John Smith" when there are more than one. I've sometimes found someone with a shared census fact before they were born or after he died, only to have it turn out it should have been another person (son or grandson) of the same name. 

#10 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

I agree with Don. Shared facts save a lot of duplication and make it much easier to prepare graceful narrative reports. They also work well with GedSite, an important consideration for me.

GEDCOM non-adherence isn't important to me. I prefer to work with one program. My need for any of the facilities of Family Historian or Legacy is minimal. If I ever do need to make a full conversion I think there are already a couple of SQL routines which will ease the process.Cancel