5 replies to this topic

#1 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 10:29 AM

I was very interested in RM7 for my Android tablet. When I downloaded and installed it the pedigree chart was pretty much unusable for my eyes. I tried to enlarge the type or display like all tablet apps seem to do to no avail with RM7.

I thought I would see if there was an update that might fix this issue and looked at the version on Amazon. My version ( a couple of years old) is 1.4 and the one on Amazon says it is 1.01. No help there.

Does anyone know if it is possible to expand the pedigree charts to make then readable?

#2 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

With all of the limitations of this application and I tried it on a tablet computer, I decided that a small format Windows computer with solid state memory is the real solution for portability to libraries and courthouses.  In my opinion, the real killer was the inability to do a direct cable transfer of data from a Windows system to an Android tablet.  I can move photos back and forth, but not my RM data.  Our small format Windows computer was about $225, but I have not priced current models.

#3 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:55 AM

John,

I have my RM database on my Samsung tablet and while it works differently from the PC version it would work very well on my research trips. I often need to look up items to verify that what I am looking at is actually the correct person.

The problem that I have is I generally like to work from a pedigree chart and the version that shows on my tablet ( 10.1 inches) is too small to read without a magnifying glass and unlike other applications on phones and tablets I can't seem to enlarge the chart. I was hoping someone would have had more experience with this application than me and show me where I am missing something and show me how to expand the pedigree chart.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

On Android devices it just depends on the device itself. Android is supported on so many different devices and they can all display differently. I know switching to my Moto X the pedigree chart is really small. On another device it can be perfect. It's far easier to develop an app on iOS because you do not have so many variables. It's not possible for a developer to have every device that runs Android to see how the app will display. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

Renee,

Thank you. Most of the application is still usable but I will need to adjust to not having a pedigree view.

I would assume that if I have a tablet with an IOS system then I would probably use the full RM package. If I have a Surface with Windows I would also use the full application. I have tried on my phone but I have decided not to pursue that device.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:48 PM

As long as the Surface had the full version of Windows you could use the desktop version of RM with it. The RM App is read-only. 

Renee
RootsMagic