1 reply to this topic

#1 purple

purple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:40 PM

Would it be possible to add a few more search options?

I'm thinking about things that have to do with a person's status but not necessarily a "fact" attached to them.  Some examples I can think of and have wished for:

*end of line ancestor

*children with only one parent

*couples who have children but no marriage event

*couples who do not have children

*queries relating to age at an event. (example married before age 15) 

You get the idea. I think there are potentially more that might be interesting that others could add.

Thanks for your consideration

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 01:21 PM

You can already do Marriage > Age > Less than > 15 and things of that nature.

You can already sort of do "end of line" in the sense of Number of Sets of Parents > equals > 0   The trouble is, end of what line? So for example, if you wanted to find all of your personal end of line parents, you could do the following. Clear all colors. Color all your ancestors as red (or any color of your choice). Then do a search for Number of Sets of Parents > equals > 0 AND Color Coding > Is Red. If you wanted to make this sort of query easier in the sense of not needing color coding, you would still need a way to tell the query the end of what line.

You should in theory be able to search for Number of Spouses > equals > 0 AND Number of Children > 1 to find children with only one parent, but it doesn't work. I suspect that Number of Spouses is being interpreted by RM as the number of times the person appears in the Family Table (the number of FAMC records the person has, in terms of GEDCOM). It seems to me that Number of Spouses needs to count the number of times the person appears in the Family Table AND that the other spouse is not null. There is a lot of guesswork here, but if my guesswork is correct it's probably working as designed and the design needs some improvement.

RM supports searching for Number of Children, but it's not at all clear to me how that works. I suspect it's People Without Children rather than Couples Without Children. It's hard to test all the possible permutations of how this could work.

Jerry