• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 greenarmy

greenarmy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

Is it possible to add name places (Linton) to numerous people all at once instead of adding them to each person individually, which would take me hours to complete. I deleted numerous place names spelt differently or bits of the full address missing and need to input all the correct place names etc. 

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:47 PM

You can make changes to place names from the place list (Lists/Place list). Different spelling & formats can merged  to a single correct one on the place list. The place names in individual fact entries will then be modified accordingly.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:52 PM

But if I understand your situation, if the place citation is empty for a given fact, then you will need to enter it.

If you had edited place names from incorrect spelling to correct spelling, every use of the incorrect spelling will change to the correct spelling. It is not necessary to correct each instance of a place name.

Once you have the correct spelling, when you start to enter a place name for a given fact, keep entering characters one by one until the full place name appears.

I wonder if you have an earlier backup of your database, before you deleted the various spelling cases.  If so, and IF you have not made any other additions, retrieve the older backup copy. Then try edits on place names as suggested.

But if you have made massive changes since you deleted the varied spelling of place names, I think you are stuck with entering correct names from scratch.