• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SearchingMan

SearchingMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 12:46 PM

Hi, received the latest RM8 email and played the vid.  Looks impressive. My suggestions are

1/ in the Search 'window', have a Clear Search button that clears not only the Results but the Criteria also: seemed obviously lacking.  Replaces two mouse clicks (Results and Criteria) with one. 

Unrelated to the vid 

2/ don't know if this is already considered, in [RM7] Tools, Calendar, have a Today button .  Easily move to today's date. 

Looking forward to the release of RM8, looks good. 

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8698 posts

Posted 27 August 2020 - 04:18 PM

The video cannot demonstrate everything and I can only speak to what has been discussed. If you haven't already signed up to become a beta tester it would good to do so. Then you could see how the Search windows clear and if an enhancement request is needed or not. 

If you are interested in becoming a beta tester you can sign up here - http://rootsmagic8.com

The beta test group is expanded as needed through random selection. When selected an email invitation with instructions and a confidentiality agreement will be sent.

The calendar in RM7 does open to today's date. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3925 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:04 AM

What the RM date processing doesn't have is a hotkey to enter today's date. I run several pieces of non-genealogical software that are involved with dates, and all of them have a Today hotkey. You might think that genealogy doesn't need one because all genealogical dates are in the past. But there are a surprising number of situations that I run into in RM where the ability to paste in today's date would be very useful - for example when entering sources and the date I viewed a Web site. To be most useful, such a hotkey would need to work everywhere that a date an be entered, including the date calculator - like to calculate how old someone is today.

Jerry

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8698 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 07:56 AM

What you describe Jerry is on our enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 RlynnChickadee

RlynnChickadee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:24 PM

I too enjoyed the preview of RM 8 and am anxiously awaiting the release.

I have one very simple wish item and it also involves the "Search" button more specifically the "Search and Replace.  I would like to see access to the "DATE" for changes. Often when bringing in files from Family Search I have discovered that the date is often in French, and probably other languages, however, when they are in anything but English the database does not sort properly. Being able to go in  and change all the months at once would be such a god send, and relieve me from the monotonous process of individual changes.

What I am asking is for a 'Date' field to be included in the "Search and Replace" function.

Thank-you.

#6 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 07:59 AM

This is a good idea. German, French and Spanish months would be an excellent start — a great time-saver for me and probably for many others.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3925 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:51 PM

This is a good idea. German, French and Spanish months would be an excellent start — a great time-saver for me and probably for many others.

The problem of non-English month names is an important one, but I'm not sure that the proposed approach is really the correct one in the long run. I think the better approach in the long run would be to store month names numerically - 1 for January, 2 for February, etc. (and using English as my sample language). Then provide language and date templates of some sort to convert the dates for display. That way, the actual months would be stored the same way no matter what your language. You would simply change your reporting templates, rather than changing the way all your dates are stored.

It's a messy problem because you have to provide not just for reporting but also for transfer via GEDCOM and transfer via TreeShare and transfer via the FamilySearch API. None of those would support numeric months, and then you are probably back to English month names for data transfer. And it's a messy problem because for display you have to be able to display January in English as January, JANUARY, Jan, or JAN and I assume the same for other languages. Plus, you have to be able to display in "day month year" order, "month day year" order, etc. I fear that any comprehensive solution in RM might leave your data in a situation where it couldn't be exchanged very easily with other genealogy software.

Jerry

#8 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 04:11 PM

I assumed that RM doesn't store the alpha month names. I took a quick look at the event and multimedia tables; the dates are all stored numerically. Somewhere in RootsMagic is a table translating the month name into those numbers. What I had in mind was that Janvier and Enero as well as January be assigned the appropriate numerical value. That shouldn't be too hard to implement.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3925 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

I assumed that RM doesn't store the alpha month names. I took a quick look at the event and multimedia tables; the dates are all be stored numerically. Somewhere in RootsMagic is a table translating the month name into those numbers. What I had in mind was that Janvier and Enero as well as January be assigned the appropriate numerical value. That shouldn't be too hard to implement.

You are correct. Mea culpa.

I was remembering incorrectly and I didn't check the date format in the database before I posted. Plus I was befuddled by the discussion in this thread about non-English months. RM treats them as text dates. You can search on them as they are, and you can edit them into English months at which point they become numeric months internally instead of text.

Jerry

#10 Charlie Allingham

Charlie Allingham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

It's even more complicated for us English (UK) users as most sites have the day and month the "wrong way" round for us (9-11 for us is, of course, the 9th of November). That is particularly true of the LDS site and there are numerous examples on that site of both dates being shown as alternatives for the same person.  Personally I am reluctant to download batches and would rather input data myself after checking it.  That leads me off topic, as ever, and I would like to know whether a RM8 UK edition/upgrade will be released at the same time as the US one?

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8698 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:36 PM

That will all depend on how quickly S&N Genealogy can customize RM8 after we give it to them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 crashar

crashar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 10:33 AM

For the life of me I do not understand why we are so muddled about how we enter dates. Americans like to use the MON-DD-YYY (JUN-07-2020) format most others seem to use DD-MON-YYYY (07-JUN-2020) or some variations thereof.  Do not even get me started on the DDMMYYY (06072020) and MMDDYYY  (06072020) formats which are a complete recipe for disaster.  This is completely opposite to how we intuitively organize our lives.  If I am going to organize something by date I will arrange it by year, month, day in that order.  

Computers store dates in databases as a numeric timestamp and convert them on data entry and display to a meaningful format that users can manage and understand.  So why, in this computer age, when it should be so easy, do we not allow users the option to choose their preferred format for entry and display?  Most genealogy software may allow some formatting options when it comes to dates but rarely do I see them offer a YYYY-MON-DD (2020-JUN-07)  or YYYYMMDD (20200607) format.   I have conditioned myself over the years to always use the YYYY-MM-DD (2020-06-07) format for dates in file names and elsewhere because it is easily sortable, easily typeable, clear and concise.  I would love to be able to use this format for entry and display in genealogy software.  I have mentioned this before in other forums only to be curtly told that it is not the genealogy standard, but then again, neither are many of the other formats which are supported.  

The same goes for place names and addresses.  We always write address and place names from most precise to most broad.  Yet we organize from most broad to most precise.  Take the following address: 1 My Street, My City, My County, My State, My Country.  If we are going to organize files by address we will start at the country level not at the street number.  So it makes sense that we should be able to enter and manage places that way.  It helps to keep things organized and makes it easy to find and highlight anomalies in place names.  I noted in one of the video previews that RM8 will have an option to view (and manage?) place names in this way.  Kudos to them for the move in this direction.