Photo

What does the white arrow in a green box mean (besides some facts)?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

Here is an example:

...nevermind, not easy to add a picture, so I won't bother.

Arrow is bidirectional, white, runs from bottom left to top right of square, on green background.

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 06:57 PM

Witnessed facts. The current individual is linked to the fact as a witness.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 05:45 AM

RM lists the name of the fact in the Edit Person screen based on the name of the main fact, not on the name of the role. That has always seemed backwards to me. For example, if the fact is Marriage and the role is Flower Girl, the for the young girl who served as flower girl for the wedding, the fact shows up as Marriage in the flower girl's Edit Person screen. I would suggest that she didn't get married that day and that it would be much more meaningful to display the shared fact for her as Flower Girl rather than as Marriage.

However, I just watched Bruce's video about shared facts again where his example was Census and where the roles were such things as Spouse and Child. In this case, showing that name of the shared fact as Census actually sort of makes sense. But I still think it's backwards. If I were using shared facts for Census (which I'm not) and if RM listed the name of the role rather than the name of the fact for the person with the role, then I would make the name of the roles be something like ChildInCensus and SpouseInCensus, and they would look fine in the Edit Person screen - much more meaningful than the way it works now. The way it works now, it looks very jarring and confusing and backwards to me in the Edit Person screen.

Jerry

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:27 AM

I would suggest that she didn't get married that day and that it would be much more meaningful to display the shared fact for her as Flower Girl rather than as Marriage.

Jerry makes a very good point here and one I hadn't thought too much about. I do use Shared Facts especially on Census returns where I specifically want to link a Nephew or Grandchild to a household and have not yet proved the family connection. However I also enter Individual Census entries for all people, why? well I can't search for a missing Census entry for an Individual when the Census Fact is Shared (unless something has changed) so something to be aware of.

I would need to watch some RM8 videos again looking for differences but in the challenge to bring more information to the top level it would be beneficial to see the Role without having to click the Share button.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 06:36 AM

I've been thinking about this a little more. Even better than my previous suggestion might be to show both the name of the fact and the name of the role for the person who has the role. Examples: Marriage-FlowerGirl (or Marriage(FlowerGirl)), Marriage-MaidOfHonor, Birth-MidWife, Birth-Parent, Census-Spouse, Census-Child, etc.

This FactName-RoleName thing would only appear on the Edit Person screen for the person who has the role and would have no effect on the appearance of reports, no effect on the Sentence Template language, etc. The Birth-Parent example is where you might add a role of Parent to a Birth fact and assign the role of Parent to the actual parent. This would cause the births of a person's children to appear in the person's timeline in reports.

Jerry

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3545 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 07:56 AM

When I was using RM I created a few Custom facts to overcome the display shortcomings, one of these was Relationship, another was Parents (thx Jerry)

The Role display has merit imo but my reason for creating these facts was the research benefit of searching and sorting on these attributes which sadly was missing from RM and available elsewhere, we must wait and see what RM8 produces. The other shortcoming in RM is the inability to search for anyone entered using the 'just type a name option', these are lost apart from visual display when the Share button is pressed. Using the borrowed code to create the Parents fact allows me to sort People View on Relationship and easily see those without Parents, I could also construct a find, problem is unlike the other software this Parents information is not dynamic, again we wait to see what RM8 brings.

relationship.PNG

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

I was using shared facts for the fact type ResidedAt(fam): this asks for the spouse name but not the children.

So I added the children to the fact as witnesses using the Share button.

Does this seem OK?

One issue this does cause: parents live at a place for many years, and have children while there.

The sentence for the children says they lived there for the full time range for the original fact, not respecting that their birthday is much later than the fact start date!

That is confusing and not correct.

Is there a better way to deal with this?

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:52 AM

RM's shared facts are seldom supported when your RM data is transferred to any other genealogy software. Using RM to transfer data to FamilySearch or to ancestry.com exemplify this problem.

RM's "family facts" such as Marriage really only apply to the couple and not to the whole family. The most common such "family fact" is Marriage. In a sense, the Marriage may have caused the children but the children typically were not participants in the Marriage. Family facts such as family residence or family census should be thought of as analogous to the Marriage fact in the way they do not include the children.

I think the best approach is to stay away from family facts and to enter such things as individual Residence facts and individual Census facts.

Jerry

#9 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:35 PM

Thanks Jerry ... sounds good, I will go that route.