We need RM8 Stat!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8718 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

RootsMagic never supports the beta version of an operating system. You upgrade to a beta version at your own risk. Codeweavers will give us a new wrapper for RM7 if needed for Big Sur. It's way to early for them to determine that now. Beta versions are to much of a moving target to program against. Needs to be much more stable first.

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 07:04 PM

I know that some Crossover 19 users have reported many apps working on the latest Big Sur betas. I can see that Rootsmagic doesn't start up on Big Sur.

I'm curious whether RM8 for Mac is expected in 2020? I understand the reluctance to publicize expected release dates.

At the same time, informed customers have the chance to make better decisions when they are considering different hardware and OS investments.

Does anyone have any vague understanding of likely timing for RM8 on Windows or OSX?

Peter

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8718 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 05:44 PM

I couldn't say when RM8 will be released. Just rest assured that if a new CrossOver wrapper is needed for Big Sur Codeweaver will make us one. With RM8 we will make sure it works with Big Sur. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 RlynnChickadee

RlynnChickadee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:58 AM

Being forewarned of this would have stopped me from downloading Big Sur. I thought we were usually warned bout this. We waited months for the last wrapper and even then I haven't found it to be that great! I am seriously considering a different software since this is becoming a huge nuisance. I can't do what I need to do without the software to put it into. Roots Magic is quickly on it's way to my do not use list, which is growing weekly these days. I guess technology just isn't what it used to me.

#6 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:55 AM

Being forewarned of this would have stopped me from downloading Big Sur. I thought we were usually warned bout this. We waited months for the last wrapper and even then I haven't found it to be that great! I am seriously considering a different software since this is becoming a huge nuisance. I can't do what I need to do without the software to put it into. Roots Magic is quickly on it's way to my do not use list, which is growing weekly these days. I guess technology just isn't what it used to me.

Given that there was a long wait last time, I am a little surprised that you didn’t draw the obvious conclusion.

CrossOver 20.0.0 (available 13 October) is required for Big Sur, but given that it is pretty new and exposes a few new rough edges when I use it with RM7 on Catalina, then a wait of some duration before there is a wrapper for RM7 seems not unreasonable to me.

(The rough edges I have observed and reported seem to have been fixed, but I am staying away from my iMac at the moment, so haven’t yet had a chance to try the very latest version 20.0.2, available 11 November, though my fix seems to be in 20.0.1, available 10 November. So, changing rapidly at the moment, and maybe not yet stable enough for the wrapper.)

#7 RlynnChickadee

RlynnChickadee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:24 AM

Given that there was a long wait last time, I am a little surprised that you didn’t draw the obvious conclusion.

CrossOver 20.0.0 (available 13 October) is required for Big Sur, but given that it is pretty new and exposes a few new rough edges when I use it with RM7 on Catalina, then a wait of some duration before there is a wrapper for RM7 seems not unreasonable to me.

(The rough edges I have observed and reported seem to have been fixed, but I am staying away from my iMac at the moment, so haven’t yet had a chance to try the very latest version 20.0.2, available 11 November, though my fix seems to be in 20.0.1, available 10 November. So, changing rapidly at the moment, and maybe not yet stable enough for the wrapper.)

I thought the wrapper was to cover the jump from 32 to 64, I didn't know that it wouldn't cover anything coming afterwards. I haven't even found the wrapper to be all that good. I have run into too many issues to see the efficiency of this software. I need something that I know I can trust and don't have to fight with.

#8 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 12:00 PM

I thought the wrapper was to cover the jump from 32 to 64, I didn't know that it wouldn't cover anything coming afterwards. I haven't even found the wrapper to be all that good. I have run into too many issues to see the efficiency of this software. I need something that I know I can trust and don't have to fight with.

if you prefer RM, you could always pay for the full version of Crossover, which I have found very reliable and usable through various versions of MacOS up to Catalina, with very heavy use of the Family Search interface. RM stays up for days and just resumes with no problem when I wake the Mac from sleep. Though note that I have NOT YET tried in on Big Sur (and have no intention of doing so until until one or two updates have been released). I can’t vouch for it on Big Sur, but it has been tested on it, users of various Windows programs do seem to be using it OK, and a few initial bugs do seem to be being cleared fairly quickly.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8718 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 01:51 PM

Crossover is finishing up a new wrapper for RM7 that works on Big Sur. We will release it as soon as possible.

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 RlynnChickadee

RlynnChickadee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:34 PM

if you prefer RM, you could always pay for the full version of Crossover, which I have found very reliable and usable through various versions of MacOS up to Catalina, with very heavy use of the Family Search interface. RM stays up for days and just resumes with no problem when I wake the Mac from sleep. Though note that I have NOT YET tried in on Big Sur (and have no intention of doing so until until one or two updates have been released). I can’t vouch for it on Big Sur, but it has been tested on it, users of various Windows programs do seem to be using it OK, and a few initial bugs do seem to be being cleared fairly quickly.

Tried the CrossOver with Big Sur and it is basically useless. Keeps freezing up. I guess I am stuck with waiting or purchasing something like FTM, haven't found anything else even close, or find a different past time. If I do, I will likely never return to genealogy. Waiting for the RM-crossover will probably take until at least March, and I am not expecting anything of RM8 any time soon, 2025? My computer engineer nephew could do better and he knows nothing about genealogy. Sorry for being a skeptic, but patience is not one of my virtues.

#11 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 05:35 AM

Big Sur!  Personally I won't be rushing to run this Windows 8 Clone (Tablet Operating System with no Touch Screen) on my Macs any time soon.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#12 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:29 AM

Crossover is finishing up a new wrapper for RM7 that works on Big Sur. We will release it as soon as possible.

CrossOver has just announced that they have successfully run a number of Windows applications on an Apple Silicon Mac using the current CrossOver 20.0.2 and a beta of Big Sur 11.1.0, so it would seem that when the new RM7 for Mac wrapper is available, it is likely - BUT NOT PROVEN - to work on one of the new fancy and very fast Macs. I hope RM will be asking them to confirm that this will be / is true.

See https://www.codeweav...officially-cool

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8718 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:25 AM

It is my understanding that this is what the new CrossOver wrapper is suppose to do. Help our users run RM7 regardless if they have an Intel chip or the new ARM one. 

Renee
RootsMagic