3 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:32 AM

I distant cousin told me he's getting RootsMagic for his iPad. If I e-mail him a gedcom should he just be able to import it into the RootsMagic app? Is there a better way than using e-mail? He's in his 80s and may need some directions. 

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:59 AM

The iPad app requires the full RM database. It cannot read anything else.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 11:12 AM

He will need your .rmgc database file, have DropBox installed on his iPad and an online DropBox account and, optionally, DropBox installed on his computer. Then he has to set up a special folder in the online DropBox where the RM App expects to find the database. You could share or send your .rmgc file on DropBox but he will have to move or copy it to the custom folder. Then when he opens the RM iPad app and it opens DropBox, DB will download the file (if it has not already done so) and he can select it to open.

Could be a frustration getting it all working. Easier for him if you had a website.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:54 AM

Perhaps he could try viewing your gedcom with the online Topola viewer at https://pewu.github.io/topola-viewer/#/ 

Nothing to install, its fairly basic but perhaps enough to get him started?