6 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:17 PM

Has anyone noticed that there have been no recent bug fixes to RM7 and RM8 which I purchased one year ago remains unmentionable?

The number of advanced users posting on the forums has also thinned out significantly (with no activity on the mac forum for months). 

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 07:30 AM

Has anyone noticed that there have been no recent bug fixes to RM7 and RM8 which I purchased one year ago remains unmentionable?

The number of advanced users posting on the forums has also thinned out significantly (with no activity on the mac forum for months). 

I still believe it will be ready when it is ready and I would like it ready rather than rushed if it's been demo'd then it must be in testing and testing often takes time especially with big changes.

There is only so much banging the drum anyone can do, I know there is some history of Rootsmagic releasing around US Thanksgiving so that's where my expectations are right now, as they keep saying it will be released when it's ready. I'm not around the channels so much recently as Facebook is like a daily broken record and this forum contains years of enhancement ideas so most has been said and not worth repeating.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:33 AM

Has anyone put together a list of enhancements for RM8? There have been many demos gong back at least 1.5 years to my knowledge and it may gh=have been possible for someone to record what changes were contemplated without violating any tester agreement.

I am debating if some "capabilities" in RM7 are in fact worth it in RM8. Images are one such feature that is not very useful, in my opinion, in RM7 but if RM8 were to treat images like most of the other genealogy software programs then it would make sense for me to start using the limited capability in RM7.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:55 PM

Has anyone put together a list of enhancements for RM8? There have been many demos gong back at least 1.5 years to my knowledge

The wish list is full of great ideas some unfulfilled for 10 years or more, try searching for "enhancement request list"

Two things I have noticed in the videos is the option to reverse the place list on screen exists and a move to Openstreetmap UI which I welcome on both scores.

Images are one such feature that is not very useful, in my opinion, in RM7 but if RM8 were to treat images like most of the other genealogy software programs then it would make sense for me to start using the limited capability in RM7.

I'm interested and curious regarding the specifics of your statement above, how exactly would you like RM to handle images?

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 08:10 AM

I have been a user of TMG since it's inception in the early 90s. I was able to assign an image to any fact that I wanted and those images would be included in the output for any report that contained the data for the event.

That way I could make a much more informative and readable report.

As it is now I must output a report to an RTF and then one by one include images into the report - very time consuming. The one program that does handle images better than others is FamilyHistorian and they have a couple of enhancements that TMG did not have like having a group picture and selecting only a portion of that image to associate with a person or event.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 10:15 AM

I have been wanting the feature of printing images inline in narrative reports in RM for years, all the way back to the Family Origins days in the 1990's. We don't know yet if it will be in RM8.

My canary in the coal mine for this feature in RM8 is whether I can link an an image of a headstone to a burial fact and have it print in a narrative report. I tried that in Family Origins and I was deeply disappointed that it didn't work. I have remained disappointed ever since. But hope springs eternal. And if ever it works for a burial fact, it will probably work for other fact types as well.

If RM8 does include this feature, it is likely to create a problem for me - curiously enough. The reason is that I have adopted GedSite to publish my data on the Web and I link all kinds of images to all kinds of facts in RM. Gedsite displays them just fine, using RM as the data source. The problem is that when I say all kinds of images, I mean all kinds of images. I link a photo of a headstone to a burial fact and it shows up just fine in GedSite and RM ignores it in narrative reports. I wish RM would print it, but no harm,no foul. But I also link images of census pages to census facts. These show up just fine in GedSite and don't print in RM. The problem is that on web pages, GedSite shows a "large thumbnail" which can expand into the full census image and it works just fine. But I can't picture any way to print full census pages inline in printed narrative reports that would actually make sense and be legible. So if RM8 does support the printing of fact images in narrative reports, I will have to figure out how to print them for burial facts and not for census facts, and similarly for many other fact types.

Jerry

#7 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 04:45 PM

Jerry,

I have many photos that go along with a fact like the image of a family home, image of a gravestone, a battle map for an event during the civil war, an image of the person at say 1 year, again in High school, College etc. The list goes on.

I have never intended to have RM print out my source documents as you point out they come in all varying shapes and sizes. I am working on a ways to create image output for print, keeping like sized images together for ease of printing and storage. I have been working with computers since 1972 and yet I feel more secure with printed images for long term archival to supplement my digital images. We have images that go back 400 years so I think they will last if I print correctly on archival paper and ink.

What would genealogy be without challenges.