5 replies to this topic

#1 magmatic

magmatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:21 AM

My database was ported from a different program. The Sources ported over as Free-form, not as their correct type, such as Interview or Book.

So, I suppose I would have to manually add a source (with the correct type), and then manually add the new source (actually a citation) everywhere the old source is used (too much work). Or just edit the text of the free-form source to look like a correct footnote. Merge could not be used because the old and new sources are different types.

#2 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:35 AM

Porting between programs can be hair raising.  Hopefully you are only doing it once!

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

Your analysis is correct in that converting sources as you describe is an incredibly labor intensive task. I have been working on the task in my database for years, and I am not even close to be being done.

In my case, the issue is not converting from a third party software's version of sources to RM's model. Rather, it is converting from RM's Free Form sources that I had already entered by hand into RM to using RM's source templates. Part of my project has been to move all sourcing data into RM's Master Source - the yellow area on RM's data entry screens for sourcing data. I'm using only the yellow area rather than the green area so that any correction I make will be applied immediately to all the citations for the source rather than requiring me to chase down each citation and make the same correction multiple times. To that end, I developed my own source templates, similar to RM's except that they place all the data into the yellow area of RM's data entry screen for source templates.

RM8 will include a feature which I think will be called Shared Citations, although I am not sure of the official name for the feature. The feature should allow a given citation actually to be shared multiple times rather than being Memorized and Pasted multiple times. After RM8 is released, I will need to examine this feature very carefully to see if I wish to start using it or if I wish to continue doing my sources the way I have been doing them.

Jerry

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 03:09 PM

If your Free Form citations have the requisite data for someone to find the source and they read well enough, why change them to the "correct type" templates? In my view, that would be a no-value-added overhead activity.  

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3975 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:44 PM

I can't speak for others, but in my case the citations I am replacing are not adequate and need to be fixed. The easiest way to fix them is to do so with the assistance of better templates. If they read well enough, I would leave well enough alone.

Jerry

#6 magmatic

magmatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 05:21 AM

Yes, I agree. In most cases I can just leave my free form sources alone. New sources will go into new templates, which is why have been wondering about how to do the Interview source.

Another issue I have run into is that in my old program you could actually embed a super-script footnote into some text (as the source for that statement), say in a note or narrative. When the file was ported to RM, it came across as [CIT: ]64. Well, I have to go back to the original data and see that source 64 was. I have a lot of cleanup like that to do. And figure out how to specify what source pertains to what text.

Sometimes it will tell me a clue as to what the source was in brackets. I don't know why at this point.