1 reply to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:46 PM

I wish for a tool to identify and fix certain family link problems.

The "identify" part of the tool would be an addition to the basic Find dialog that would find individuals who are linked to the same spouse partner twice. Essentially, the Find would be finding duplicate entries in RM's FamilyTable. For example, there might be family #12 where the partners are people #27 and #28, and there might be a family #9934 where the partners are people #27 and #28.

The "fix" part of the tool would merge the two families. In my example, it would be merging family #12 and family #9934. The tool would merge family sources and family notes, but would not merge family facts. In practice, I would suspect that the percentage of RM users who use family sources and family notes is extremely small, but nevertheless family sources and family notes have to be addressed. I would emphasize that family facts can have sources and notes, but a source for a family fact is not the same thing as a family source and a note for a family fact is not the same thing as a family note. So the only thing that has to be merged for sources and notes is family sources and family notes. Finally, the list of children in the ChildTable would need to be merged, so that each child is in the child table for the couple just one time. A possible problem is that the list of children could get out of order in the process. So it seems to me that this kind of tool should not work globally on the whole database, but rather should just work on the currently highlighted family that you have just found.

I make mention of the fact that a similar situation that could benefit from a find tool and a fix tool is where there is just one family and the same child has been linked into it twice. On it's face, this is a much simpler problem that doesn't require any merging of anything and simply requires any duplicate children to be deleted from the ChildTable. However, just like in the case with spouses who are linked to each other multiple times, the fix could leave children in the wrong order. So again, it seems to me that this kind of tool should not work globally on the whole database, but rather should just work on the currently highlighted family that you have just found.

Jerry

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:14 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic