3 replies to this topic

#1 magmatic

magmatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:22 AM

I am trying to learn how to use sources in Roots Magic. I have a database that was converted from another program. It has various sources that look like duplicates in the Source List, including interviews of a given person. These interviews could have been on different dates, and I made a separate source for each separate interview. An "interview" may just be a brief conversation. There may be several of those over the years.

Question: For new interviews that I record, should I have just ONE Interview source for a given person, and then put the specific date for THIS interview in the CITATION, or should there be a different source (with date) for each interview/conversation?

If I did the later, then the date would have to be part of the name I give it. There is no field for date in the yellow area (master source) of the source screen, only in the green area (source details), which will go with the individual citation that I am on at the moment. If I did the former, I guess there is a way to copy a citation (with date) to a new instance of the citation to use somewhere else in the file.

On Source details (in green): I assume these are actually details for THIS citation (not the master source). It lets me fill in the citation details (which it confusingly calls source details) at the time I create the master source. The details will not go with the general source. Do I have all that right?

#2 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:57 AM

Personally I would say that like a book each interview is different source.

And you are right the date of the interview should be in the title of the source.  “Interview with Jane Doe on January 1, 1985”  The citation would then note the point in time the quote could be found from that recording (similar to a page in a book).

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:20 PM

I would make each interview a separate source, but that's only because I'm an extreme source splitter. For example, I make each page of a book into a separate source. My reason is that I can make corrections in the yellow area  of a citation in RM (the Master Source area) and the correction applies universally. But to make corrections in the green area of a citation in RM (the Source Details area), I have to chase down each citation and make each correction separately. There appears to be a facility in RM8 that might make my extreme source splitting unnecessary.

If I were not an extreme source splitter, I would probably make the person be the source (Master Source - yellow area), and make each interview into a separate citation (Source Details - green area).

A major part of the reason for the dichotomy between Master Source and Source Details is to make the Master Source reusable and therefore that it does not have to be typed in over and over again. But with my extreme source splitting approach, I achieve the same re-usability by starting a new source by copying an existing one that's very close to what I need.

Jerry

#4 magmatic

magmatic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:09 AM

I will use separate sources then. Say as a name for the source: John Smith (4/1/2000), or Interview - John Smith (4/1/2000).

Thanks for the help.

David