5 replies to this topic

#1 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:29 PM

Don't believe this possible but not going to die wondering.

I am running two databases at the moment with some overlap of ancestors which I want both to reflect these overlap changes. At the moment I enter all the details b., bap., m., d., bur., and any associated notes for a person in one database and then have to retype and or cut,copy and paste from the entered database to the other one.

What would be really nice is if you could copy the data/notes etc from the manually entered person and paste that into the other database?

Is this at all possible?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3872 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 08:53 PM

RM doesn't support it the way you describe. The best you could do would be to drag and drop the person from one database to the other after the first data entry. There would then be two copies of the person in the second database, and you could manually merge the two people. A certain amount of cleanup would be required, but it *might* be a bit easier than complete duplication of the data entry.

Jerry

#3 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 11:08 PM

RM doesn't support it the way you describe. The best you could do would be to drag and drop the person from one database to the other after the first data entry. There would then be two copies of the person in the second database, and you could manually merge the two people. A certain amount of cleanup would be required, but it *might* be a bit easier than complete duplication of the data entry.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,

Definitely have to be careful how you use this drag and drop. Thank god for backups! Only now drag a person who does not exist in the other database and then link them to the appropriate field. Saves a bit of typing.

Cheers,

Ian

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:59 AM

Is this at all possible?

I don't advise using multiple databases for the difficulties you are experiencing, I prefer to use Colour Coding and Groups to segment within one database.

However as Jerry suggested use Drag&Drop except if you drag onto a corresponding person or within a Family RM will give you some options to confirm like  "Are ??? and ??? the same person" informing you that "Rootsmagic will automatically merge them" or in the case of a family addition that it will add them to the family.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:54 PM

Compare Files is another option for adding facts and notes between people in separate databases. Though I would tend to use drag n drop of a single person and confirm they are the same person so they merge. 

What's New in RootsMagic 7  
00:29:05 – Compare Files

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:27 PM

Thank you all for heading me in the right direction.

The power of RM7 never ceases to amaze me!. :)