7 replies to this topic

#1 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:01 AM

If I put my database onto  a 'read only' CD disc or USB stick, can someone I give it to transfer it to be 'fully usable'?  i.e do the same with the database as I can? or if they were to purchase the Roots Magic programme themselves, could they then put the one I have given to them on their own programme and so therefore it would become fully usable? am I making sense?

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 01:54 PM

All CDs are "Read Only" but certain CDs can be "ReWriteable", that is they can be erased and reused.

If I can get a copy of a RM database on a CD I can extract it into my RM database very easily and do anything I can do to any RM database. It is fully usable and there is no way to prevent it. Your only option is to  not give anyone a copy of your database.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 04:01 PM

If you have set anything private in your database, anyone who has a copy of your file can see everything.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3480 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:10 PM

If I put my database onto  a 'read only' CD disc or USB stick, can someone I give it to transfer it to be 'fully usable'?  i.e do the same with the database as I can?

The database file on a CD is typically unchangeable in and of itself. On a USB stick, the READ ONLY protections CANNOT remain in force. Anyone can change the USB stick and the database file properties to remove the READ ONLY designation and then use the drive and it's files with any of their own programs. Additionally, all they have to do with either the CD -or- the USB stick is COPY the file to their own system and then change its file properties to remove the READ ONLY and become a writable, usable database.

or if they were to purchase the Roots Magic programme themselves, could they then put the one I have given to them on their own programme and so therefore it would become fully usable?

They can download the free RootsMagic Essentials to OPEN the database and do limited edits / reports -or- with a full, licensed version of RootsMagic they can open the database and do anything and everything.

am I making sense?
(The person Im thinking of giving it to is very computer savvy so would there be something that they could do to make it fully usable?)

Yep, you are. Yes, they could.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 05:03 AM

What about using html output to share your research? Nothing is 100% secure but html not very easy to import into a family history programme for editing? Once happy with the result just copy all the files to which ever media you prefer.

RM7 still has option to output html website, although I use  3rd party software to generate the files I routinely share with family this way and most people find it easy to use a simple 'website on CD or USB stick' even if they know nothing about family history.

#6 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:47 AM

Thank you everyone for all your replies, it is as I thought unfortunatly in that they could alter everything, soooooo disapointed as I know the cousin I have given it to will do just that! :(

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:02 AM

You could create a MyRootsmagic (Publish Online) website without a GEDCOM download option. Password protect it if you want to share living people's information. If they wanted the information bad enough they would have to manually type it into a new database. 

What's New in RootsMagic 7  

00:36:50 – Publish Online (Websites)

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Renee for that suggestion, I do appreciate your input but unfortunatly she already has both the CD and the USB, so its definatly a clanger on my part. :rolleyes: