9 replies to this topic

#1 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:14 AM

I recently uploaded my tree to Ancestry.

Then I did some updates and went to share again from RM to Ancestry: I got the screen shown below.

There is no indication of what you are supposed to do to resolve this issue.

I want my Ancestry tree updated to match Rootsmagic, where I changed and added Jessica as a spouse to someone already in my tree.

Why can't RM simply update the Ancestry tree accordingly? I'd hate to think I need to delete and re-upload my Ancestry tree every time I've made changes in RM ... or that I'd have to somehow manually change something to get this update propagated to Ancestry!!

Screen shot:

i-BkNBfF5-L.png

#2 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

Was Jessica previously in your Ancestry tree?

If she was then click on Show all and select her to link the entries.

However, I suspect that Jessica is a new individual (who is also a spouse of an individual already on your Ancestry tree) which you have added to RM then simply click add and the new individual (Jessica) and her relationship will be added to Ancestry.

Peter

#3 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for that response: that makes sense, but the program sure doesn't: not sure why it is asking about what to do for a new spouse I've added on the RM side!!

Why didn't it ask about any of the multiple other new people I added???

Actually, I take that back: now I am totally confused by what this program is trying to do:

After clicking "Add" like you suggested, the sync finishes.

But the pane labelled (1) at left in my image above lists ALL the new people (excluding Jessica now) I've just added to RM (I have the "Only show changed people" checkbox ticked).

When I click any of these the middle pane (2) shows like above with message "This RootsMagic person is not yet connected to anyone in your Ancestry tree yet"

Why do I have to add every.single.new.individual.one.by.one ...so much for automatically syncing! Seems like a big fail.

You can't select them all and just sync: you can pick one and add...then wait while it does its work...this is going to be very slow every time I add a bunch of new people!!

Is there some setting I've got wrong that is preventing treeshare from actually automatically syncing my RM changes to Ancestry?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:53 AM

TreeShare is not an automatic sync, and does not claim to be. Indeed, it's rather proud of not being an automatic sync. The idea is that an automatic sync is might make mistakes and thereby corrupt your data. But with a manual sync, you are in control and you can avoid data corruption. Or at least that's the theory.

The only time the sync is really automatic is when you first connect RM and ancestry, either an existing RM database connecting to a new and empty ancestry tree, or vice versa. After that, the sync is very manual.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:53 AM

TreeShare for Ancestry isn't an automatic sync. You do need to manually approve and upload new people and facts. RootsMagic decided to use this method since the Ancestry API was new and the potential to corrupt the file at that time was to great. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 12:09 PM

You do need to manually approve and upload new people and facts. 

It's really new people and facts and sources and images. And it's each individually changed person and facts and sources and images and notes. You can't even approve a whole person all at one go if that person has multiple changed facts, sources, facts, images, and notes. Each individual everything has to be approved separately.

Jerry

#7 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 05:09 PM

It's really new people and facts and sources and images. And it's each individually changed person and facts and sources and images and notes. You can't even approve a whole person all at one go if that person has multiple changed facts, sources, facts, images, and notes. Each individual everything has to be approved separately.

Jerry

OK thanks all ... at least this explains it.

Jerry - In my case I was able to approve the new person and all associated facts in one go: I assume that is because in my case these were brand new people, not existing people with multiple fact updates.

Wish list: Would be nice to have an UPDATE ALL button, for BOTH directions. Of course you would have to be careful with that!

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:10 PM

In my case I was able to approve the new person and all associated facts in one go: I assume that is because in my case these were brand new people, not existing people with multiple fact updates.

I think that's right. I think think the each individual fact, source, etc. thing only comes into play when the person is already there.

Jerry

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:44 PM

Wish list: Would be nice to have an UPDATE ALL button, for BOTH directions. Of course you would have to be careful with that!

This has been much discussed on these forums, and it comes up again every time a new TreeShare user encounters the way TreeShare works after the initial sync. On the one hand, the TreeShare beta testers were very supportive of the current TreeShare design. And a lot of production RM users are very supportive of the current TreeShare design, especially users who previously have been burned by corruption caused by FTM's automatic sync with ancestry. On the other hand, a lot of RM users seem to agree with you.

My personal perspective is that TreeShare should be perfectly safe for fully automatic sync as long as it's only ever used in one direction, and that's the only way I would use it anyway. Whether a two-way sync is automatic or manual, it just seems to me that a two-way sync just loses far too much data to be practical for any serious research.

Jerry

#10 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:45 PM

Yes, that is correct.

A new person (in either direction) - you have to add everything.

If it is an update (again in either direction) - you have to click for every fact and that can be add, modify or delete. Also that add, modify or delete can be in either direction and in both directions for the same update.