4 replies to this topic

#1 Cedric

Cedric

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:42 AM

I want to add some introductory notes about what my RM7 database is, and is not.

A suggestion is that put these notes in a "dummy person".  Presumably this person will be named something like Readme First.

I would like this to be record No 1, so my question revolves around how I create theis person.  One possibility is to create a new database, create record 1, then export all records and types of info to GEDCOM. and import to this new database.

Question 1)  Is a dummy person the best way of giving notes to the user?

Q2)  Is a GEDCOM Export/Import the best way to obtaina database with a new record No 1?

Q3)  Will all info be transferred using this method (obviously some info will be lost if I import to a different genealogy software package), but can all be picked up in a RM export to GEDCOM?

Q4)  Alternately can all info be obtained by selecting all records (can that selection be done) and dragging them to a new database that contains 1 record.

Any assistance appreciated

Regards

Cedric

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 06:46 AM

Drag and drop can lose data. I suspect that for most users most of the time, the things that can cause lost data  will have no effect or minimal effect. The best narrative about what can be lost may be found at https://sqlitetoolsf...ransfer-losses/

Q1. A dummy person is a way of giving notes to the user. But the notes don't even have to be in your database. For example, the notes could be in readme.txt.

Q2. A drag and drop or GEDCOM export/export are functionally the same thing. They are the only way to make a new database with your dummy person as person #1.

Q3. Some data can be lost with drag and drop or GEDCOM export/import from RM to RM. See the link above for details.

Q4. Same as question 3.

If you want to use a dummy person, I wonder if you might be better off giving the dummy person a name that will sort to the first of the list in the Index view of the left sidebar. I suspect that your correspondents are more likely to be able to find the dummy person that way than they are to know to look for person #1.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

You could also add notes about the database to a To-Do item or Research Log. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

I am a little late to this discussion but I have had the same questions over the years. The first question you should ask and get an answer to is who should see this information, how they should see it and when.

If you are going to share your database or to leave a note to future genealogists then adding a person may be the way to go. There are some shortcomings here because you can add a person, make them the focus person and they would always come up as the first person in your display, but the information that you have for that person would probably be buried in a fact type which would require at least two mouse clicks to get to.  I would also use a unique name like Read Me A-First so that this person will sort to the top of the list. You may need to alter the “A” to some other character to get it to sort to the top of your list.

I have tried a slightly different approach when at the grandparent level I have some generic information about that particular surname, from a coat of arms to general history about the name that does not apply directly to any one person. I select the appropriate grandparent and then add an Anecdote fact (one of my own) type and place all my data in the note field and put the date before the grandparents birthdate so it will come out first. RM will give an error on this since you will have a fact before the birth which RM sees as an error. This seems to work for my purposes.

If your desire is to have generic information in a report scenario there are several options there. If you use the publisher you can build many pages for your report including a text only page which you can position wherever you want and put any test that you want. This way if you deliver a “printed’ output then your database explanation would be one of the very first pages to be presented. I have not experimented with this idea when creating a webpage but I assume that there would be a similar solution there.

I agree with Jerry’s explanation in that data moves using the GEDCOM format will probably result in potentially some lost data of some sort and that will be problematic until all the software packages get in sync and create and interpret GEDCOM the same.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:23 PM

...... data moves using the GEDCOM format will probably result in potentially some lost data of some sort and that will be problematic until all the software packages get in sync and create and interpret GEDCOM the same.

The problem is even worse than that in the sense that RM loses data moving data from RM to RM via GEDCOM. RM can't control what happens when it is exchanging data between itself and other genealogy software. But it certainly seems to me that it ought to be able to exchange data with itself without loss.

Jerry