5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:40 PM

I plan to run a test RM7 database against which I will test things that might corrupt my production database.  When I'm happy I've got it right then I will apply the change to my production database.  Things I'd like to test include complicated Source Templates, automatic screen-scraping scripts, etc.

If I use the same set of folders for both my test and production databases I run the risk of damaging the production environment (if not the production database itself).  For example, if I'm not careful then during testing I might inadvertently delete an item in the media gallery (thinking it was only required for the test database) which is actually needed for the production database.  And all my .rmgb backup files will (without manual override by me) end up in the same backup folder.

The Tools/Program Options/Folders setting applies to all databases.  I would like to run RM7 with a different set of folders for the test database and production database.  One tedious way is to remember to change some of the Tools/Program Options/Folders setting before doing any work, but this is a bit tedious.  

Is there a way to tell RM7 I want to use a different set of folders for a particular database?  How have others tackled this test/production requirement?

TIA ... John.

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:01 PM

Why not just make multiple backups of your production material, restoring as necessary when an experiment doesn't work? There might be less to keep track of, esp if your exhibits inhabit a complex folder/subfolder system?

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3928 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 07:01 AM

There is no way to use a different set of folders for a different database. This problem could perhaps be solved if RM supported relative file addressing, similar to what is supported by HTML and to what is supported by the command line on both UNIX and Windows. But RM doesn't support relative file addressing. The default folder for the database itself couldn't be a file option in any case because there would be a chicken and egg problem. The default folder for backups, GEDCOM, reports, and media could be file options but they aren't.

I actually keep my test databases in the same folder as my production database with no adverse consequences so far. But the reason isn't because of the way RM uses folders. In fact, RM's default folders don't really have quite the impact you might think. In particular, RM's default folder for for media files has virtually no effect in reality. That's because the links to media files are stored as full absolute file paths all the way back to the drive letter. So if you move your media files to a different folder and change RM's default media folder to match, RM still can't find the media files. You still have to run the Fix Broken links procedure.

If you think about it, RM's default folder settings are only defaults which can be overridden and they only impact RM making new files. Hence, they impact making a new database, making a backup file, making a GEDCOM file, and making a report file. But RM doesn't make media files. And when RM is opening an existing database file, opening an existing backup file to restore it, or opening an existing GEDCOM file to import it, you have to navigate to where the file really is.

Jerry

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 03:57 PM

Create another user account on your computer.  Then setup the folders as desired in RM.  Import the test file from the normal account and save them in alternate user account.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:32 PM

Or run a second instance of RootsMagic from a RMtoGo removable drive. Use it for the test database as it can have folder settings different from the installed RM.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for all your help guys - I plan to go down the path suggested by John and create a separate user account - seems the safest / cleanest way to go.

Cheers ... JohnJ