Photo

RM7 on Mac 10.14 (Mojave) - wine pre-loader?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:54 PM

I had a long hiatus from RootsMagic when my old Macbook died last year.

I now have a Macbook Air running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

I just re-installed RM7, imported my old GEDCOM.

All seemed to be going okay. I went to look at a source on a particular fact. When I double-clicked on the source checkmark next to the fact, I got some weird message about a wine pre-loader.  Specifically, it said: 

"Wine could not find a Gecko package which is needed for applications embedding HTML to work correctly. Wine can automatically download and install it for you.  Note: it is recommended to use our distribution's packages instead. See https://wiki.winehq.org/Geckofor details."

EDITED TO ADD: I just went to that website, and it's scary as all get-out. Can someone just tell me what I need to do in order to run RM7 on my Mac?

My options were CANCEL and INSTALL.  I cancelled.  The "wine..." error message box went away.

And basically RM froze.  When I went to force-quit, I saw two entries for wine pre-loader. I force-quit them. 

So I'm going back in... My recently created rm file doesn't show up in Open Recent...

But I was able to find it with Open File using windows (which is weird, because it brought up the typical Apple file open dialog box).

I had exactly the same experience as before (though this time I clicked on "Sources" button under "Person details" instead of the check mark in the Source column of the fact line), but this time, after clicking CANCEL on the error message, and after the error message window closed,  I got that dull-thud sound any time I tried to do anything else. I was able to command-tab to another app (this one where I'm typing this right now). 

So I force-quit RM7 instead. 

I'm thinking that my next option is to select INSTALL instead, but I haven't a clue what WINE is other than reading here about it being some sort of alternative to Crossover which apparently no longer works.

Please advise me; I really want to be able to see my details and sources. (I haven't tried to do anything else in RM yet.)

Many thanks. (I"d like to say it's good to be back, but um... not yet...)

Now when I look at the Force Quit menu, there is no "wine..." listed.

#2 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:03 PM

The answer is Yes, install the wine preloader. Wine is the platform that CrossOver uses. You will have to uninstall everything and start over following the step-by-step procedure for uninstalling so all bits and pieces disappear. It's the "Cross" we have to bear along with force quiting when things hang (quite frequently),

This is another gotcha that will disappear when RM8 native to the Mac magically appears in the near future.

I am using the Mac OS Beta and RM7 seems to have settle down a little. The force quiting is happening when I am making changes via FamilySearch and the access error stuff happens when I "unblue" a mother to hopefully go green. Hardly ever happens when I unblue a father. 

#3 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:33 PM

Suggest you avoid using a gedcom to start up with RM7 again. Just copy over the .rmgc database file and open that to avoid any gedcom import losses.

You do have to allow the wine component to be installed. RM7 runs in a crossover wine bottle or fake windows environment. That is why the program interface is so awful.

Use the free appcleaner (freesoft) and findanyfile to remove the broken RM7 install and start over.

#4 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:07 AM

Thank you both. Unfortunately, my old rmgc file is older than my gedcom. I must have used Reunion in between at some point. (I had both on the old computer that died.)

I believe there are uninstall / reinstall instructions somewhere... I'll go look.

What is Mac OS Beta? 

Should I upgrade my Mac OS to 10.15 ?

FYI, while waiting (and because I was anxious to get at my sources), I downloaded and installed Gramps. Blech... 

#5 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

Okay... I removed RM7 per above. Then I installed the beta RM7+wrapper for Catalina because it says it will work on previous OS's. Upon installation, it said an update was available so I installed the update.

I was able to open the rmgc file that I'd created before with the gedcom import.

I went to the source check mark and double clicked. I got the message to install gecko.  The beta wrapper instructions said to select install. So I did.

I started to get the dull-thud sound again and things appeared to be frozen. I did see I was able to select Quit RootsMagic from the File menu, so I did.

I got the typical backup or skip message. I skipped. AND THEN instead of quitting, it brought me to the source screen for the source I had previously selected before getting the "install gecko" message. 

THEN the screen cleared and I got a small error message box that says: "Access violation at address 00593857 in module 'Rootsmagic.exe'. Read of address 00000010."

Going back in...

P.S. when I clicked OK on that error message, another message appeared briefly about a control window. I didn't catch the exact wording.

#6 Jillaine Smith

Jillaine Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

Second use after all that broohah up there seems to be better, more stable. No error messages or freezing... yet.  I have to go back to work so I won't get to more messing around until later.

Thanks again for your help.

#7 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:57 AM

If your mac is recent upgrade to Catalina 10.15. After the last bug fix it works much better than Mojave on my 2014 mbp.

Never install beta OS versions. They are very risky. Wait for the consumer release and the 2nd or 3rd bug fix after that. Let others be the guinea pig especially if you are not familiar with mac software.

#8 tree811

tree811

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 03:27 PM

Hello,

This is very similar to what happened to me (Mac OS 10.13.6).

Contacted support, and after going through a complete uninstall/reinstall, and restoring from backup file, RM7 was very unstable. I lost source citations that had been on screen, right before my eyes.

When I explained to the support person, what had happened, they said there was no fix, and if I wanted to, I could get on a list to possibly be selected to test the RM8 Beta version.

I just purchased RM7 in May...this is very disappointing. I will be starting over with another software application.

Good Luck Mac Users!

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 03:40 PM

tree811 - Support should not have said that. I'm not sure who you were talking with. Open a support ticket Attn: Terri and she will look at what's happening - https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic