5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Yaklin

Dan Yaklin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

I was doing a complicated bit of research for two brothers.  The issue became which one was where when.  Can you say confusing!  So I made a note about this traveling and put it in each brothers notes, the note space by the individual's name.  When researching one, I could quickly look at the note for information instead of going back and forth between them.  Unfortunately, they are part of a large tree, and when I printed a book the notes were forgotten, making the story about the individual look as though I had combined them into one person.  

Is there a better place to put such a note?

Thanks for your help.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1695 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:03 PM

I am not a Fan or a big user of the Notes section of individuals information.  I use the Citation Management for all Sources.  When I am done filling in all the titles, author's etcc...  I go to the Detail Text section and fill in the Research Notes, using quotes around what I found or if an email, I state given surmane said/wrote and then the quotes around what was sent/said.  If there is a need to state my opinion/more to the story, I use the Comments section.  this I like as the comments in the comment section stay with the Source. If you want it in an sentence of a fact, use the Description fill in to add it there. 

I do use the Notes, but only for reminding me that I need to do more researching and why.  Or stating a need to visit this place or find a different sources. Especially if it does not fit the question, I needed answered.  Because I use the Citation Management set up I have no problem with items showing in Reports. 

In the early years of using this software, with the comments, from past items in this forum.  I decided which section of the software I was going to use for notes, and sources. Personally, I would strongly suggest that you use the Citiation Manager for all Sources and if there is notes use the Comment section. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1695 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

If you use the Description file, be aware there only certain amount of data/spaces to use in the sentence.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 12:47 PM

I use citation notes as described by Nettie, but I also use a lot of fact notes because they will print in narrative reports. I'm not sure I can help you much with your conundrum of a narrative note that really is about multiple people. A much simpler example than yours is that maybe two brothers inherited their father's 200 acre farm based on the terms of their father's will, but the will did not partition the farm. Each brother owned 1/2 interest, which means that each one of them owned 1/2 of every single square inch. So the brothers might of their own volition have executed a partition deed where one brother took exclusive ownership of the 100 acres north of the creek and the other brother took exclusive ownership of the 100 acres south of the creek. So how do you enter this into RM? I would probably enter a Deed fact for both brothers on the same date (NOT using shared facts) and I would include a brief narrative about the event for both brothers with each narrative written from that brother's perspective. It's a little bit of duplication, but it's hard to see what else to do.

If you were using something like Microsoft Word as your genealogy software of choice instead of using RM, you might be able to avoid some of the duplication. But even there, you are going to have information in your narrative about one brother and other information in your narrative about the other brother and it would still be hard to separate out the narrative of the partition deed from the rest of the narrative you would  be composing.

But in any case, the citation for the partition deed would surely be the same for both brothers

Jerry

#5 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 02:43 PM

My gr-gr grandfather died in 1830 without a will. My gr-grandfather spent over 20 years in the mid 1800's  buying fractional interests of the farm from his siblings and nieces and nephews.  I finally gave up on verification that he finally ended with 100% of the farm.  My family now owns a portion of the farm.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3546 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 06:58 AM

I do try to use and embrace Research Manager and Logs for such ongoing notes and scribbles although there are currently limitations. I have noted with interest an indication of some improvements in Version 8 where To-Do items and Research logs look to be combined and this may make these features more useful in the future.

Outside of the lack of compatibility with other programs the current limitations are that Research Logs can only apply to General, Person, Family, Event or Place so apart from Family (husband and wife) they are singular items. It should also be noted that a Research Log attached to an Event which is Shared does not show on the Sharee.

Personally in a case such as yours I would use the Misc fact with Search for the travels of Bob & Joe and Share the fact with Bob & Joe or anyone else it may pertain to. I use very few Custom Facts except as research keys to help progress and not for sharing outside my own desktop but one I do use is Research Notes with the Description field enabled. The Description field on People View informs me in brief what I know of where I am stuck and I update the Notes with what I discover on an ongoing basis. I can Share this fact with other people if appropriate and usually file the complete research process from Notes to a Research Log when completed.

There are many different ways to achieve such things, an important factor to me is visibility of the information until resolved and having it at my finger tips, the link below is the Rootsmagic video on Research Manager, it may or may not suit your needs.

https://youtu.be/NBuc9EcsB-A

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root