5 replies to this topic

#1 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:48 PM

I am thinking of running RM on a PC (accessed via Remote Desktop) instead of my Mac: normally I view-only in the Mac-native app, and do edit work in RM running on Parallels on my Mac. (Out of paranoia I use the Mac-native app for read-only purposes.)

However I can readily do a Remote Desktop connection from Mac to a PC...I think this will be the best solution because it is native PC, quickly connectable without the slow startup of Parallels, etc.

Anyone do the same using Remote Desktop?

#2 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:23 AM

I have only used Remote Desktop for service calls, but what you contemplate should work.  Do be sure to secure the connection, as RDP is prone to hack attacks from within and without your home network.

Curious, though, why if you have a PC you wouldn't work on it directly?  Are you taking the Mac offsite and connecting back to home?

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#3 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 07:01 PM

Actually it was to use a computer with larger monitor, which is also my main computer (Mac).

It (RDP) actually works but there are some little subtle differences, and I now have a new monitor, so am abandoning RDP.

Basically beside my 27" iMac I have a new 32" 4K monitor with KVM switch so that this new monitor is either second monitor to Mac or main monitor to PC with RootsMagic (or 3rd monitor on my work PC!).   :)

#4 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:23 AM

I am thinking of running RM on a PC (accessed via Remote Desktop) instead of my Mac: normally I view-only in the Mac-native app, and do edit work in RM running on Parallels on my Mac. (Out of paranoia I use the Mac-native app for read-only purposes.)

However I can readily do a Remote Desktop connection from Mac to a PC...I think this will be the best solution because it is native PC, quickly connectable without the slow startup of Parallels, etc.

Anyone do the same using Remote Desktop?

I'm remote desktop'd from Mac to Windows machines pretty much all the time. Works reasonably well. I have a Pavilion 32" monitor plugged into by work MacBook Pro, and I have remote sessions going to two Windows laptops I use for development and for genealogy programs that have no Mac version such as GenMerge. I'm also "screen sharing" my personal MacBook Pro so I have 3 remote sessions up nearly all the time. 

#5 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

I have a new 32" 4K monitor with KVM switch so that this new monitor is either second monitor to Mac or main monitor to PC with RootsMagic (or 3rd monitor on my work PC!).    :)

Okay, I now have monitor envy!  My main computer attaches to a couple of 19" 4:3 monitors, and I thought that was the height of luxury!

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1077 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 02:55 PM

I've run RM on a MacBook with Wine installed. Seemed to work pretty well. Not slow starting as Wine is a compatibility package, not an emulator. Wine does not seem to work on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina).