7 replies to this topic

#1 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:58 PM

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but it's an RM7 question. I have looked at the RM interface to both Ancestry and Familysearch.  I think RM did a great job of programming the interface, but to date I have found almost nothing of value in either interface and I want to permanently disable any interaction with either Ancestry or Familysearch. All the info that I get from either is by logging on and searching for documents, downloading those documents and then incorporating those sources into my family tree manually.

I have used the file options to reduce any exposure I have but I am a doubting Thomas and I don't think I have completed what I want.Any Help?

#2 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:32 AM

NEreswearcher, you're on the right track.  To disable the interaction, do these things:

-- click on Internet, TreeShare for Ancestry and make sure you're signed out.

-- click on Tools, File Options and WebHints.  un-check all the boxes.  While in File options, click on the left pane icons for Ancestry, Family Search and My Heritage, others if you have them.  In Ancestry, Disconnect from Ancestry Tree and un-check all options.  In FamilySearch, un-check all options and remove login info.  In MyHeritage, un-check all options.

I'm pretty sure that is all you can do, but others will correct me if I've left something out.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#3 NEreswearcher

NEreswearcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:15 AM

Thanks Jim,

I checked with what I had done and i further got rid of MY Heritage. That probably was not necessary but I don't have their subscription so I don't think I a missing anything.

Thanks again.

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:07 AM

One of my concerns with electronic tree sharing is my strong paranoia about sharing anything to do with living people. I simply refuse to upload, e-mail or post anything about living people, unless they are really famous, (e.g. George Bush, Prince William)   When I learned that RM's publish online function actually grabbed the whole database then filtered living people in the display, I resolved not to use it. Similar situation for Ancestry and FamilySearch. The only living person in any of my Ancestry trees is me, then only as a place to link my DNA results, with no details. 

#5 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 12:56 PM

I have internet sharing with Family Search and Ancestry off i.e not supplied login details.

I however have enabled web hints with Family Search, Ancestry and My Heritage. Is there any RM family data captured, stored and used by these in the companies when you select web hints?

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3925 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 02:26 PM

You are going to get answers that say "yes". Those answers are correct. You are going to get answers that say "no". Those answer are also correct. In other words, it's complicated.

RM will send data about the person in RM to the site to ask the site if there are any hints for the person. The site will not capture or store the data. But the site will use the data temporarily to look for hints. If any hints are found, the hints will be reported back to RM.

The way hints are identified is very different for each of the three sites, but that's not what you are asking about. What you are asking about is your RM data. A small bit of your RM data has to be sent from RM to the sites and kept by the sites at least temporarily while the sites are looking for hints. The way FamilySearch hints and ancestry.com hints work, it appears that that data you send is kept only briefly as the hints are being processed, perhaps only a few seconds or even less. The data sent in the query then appears to be discarded after that

The way myheritage.com hints work, it appears that the data in the query is actually kept around much longer. It's just the data for the one person for whom the hints are requested that is kept. And the data appears to be kept in a form where it's not in any database that any other user can get at. But it seems to be kept around. The reason is this must be the case is that when you get a hint from myheritage.com, it appears on a Web screen in a browser and the screen includes your data that was sent and also the data for the hint. The Web screen is constructed by myheritage.com. Therefore, in order to place your data on the screen it has to have your data, if only briefly.

But if you save the URL for that Web screen, you can wait weeks or months and the same URL will give you the same screen, including your data. So myheritage must be saving that screen somewhere, or the data to reconstruct that screen somewhere. The screen is not stored in a myheritage.com database and it's not available to any other user, but myheritage.com has to be saving the data some how or other or else it couldn't send you the same screen again months later. I wouldn't say that myheritage.com is capturing or storing your data, certainly not in its databases. But it's saving enough of your query to send your query back to you later.

Jerry

#7 Fleetz

Fleetz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 04:24 PM

Thanks Jerry.

The reason I ask a tree I have at Ancestry seems to expand by itself? In fact I am convinced of it as there are photos of ancestors that I have only ever stored in RM that now appear in Ancestry. There appears to be some harvesting in web hints going on?

I have never filled my Ancestry login details in RM and I only have web hints enabled?

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3925 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:20 AM

If you focus is on ancestry, remember that to receive ancestry WebHints you have to sync your RM database with an ancestry tree using TreeShare. You can keep the tree on ancestry private, but your RM data does have to be stored on ancestry. You obviously have already done this sync yourself.

I'm not sure I'm fluent with ever little nuance of the way TreeShare moves image files back and forth between RM and ancestry, but all my images in RM do appear also to be in my tree in ancestry. They got there when I did the initial sync which created an ancestry tree from my RM database.

Jerry