1 reply to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:12 PM

I have been using Windows 10 under Parallels 14 to run RM7.  A couple months ago I had to reinstall Parallels, Windows 10, and RM7.  I had purchased Windows 7 previously and upgraded to Windows 10.  This past weekend Windows 10 was telling me I needed to enter a product key to activate it.  It would not accept my Windows 7 product key.  I spent four hours on the phone with Microsoft, mostly on hold.

I spoke with three different technicians, two of whom took over my computer remotely.  The last one asked me to scan in my receipt for Windows 7 which I did even though the first technician had already verified I had a valid Windows 7 key.  Microsoft would not honor the Windows 7 key since I had to reinstall Windows 10 and told me I had to purchase a new license to activate it after four hours on the phone.  They could have told me this upfront and not have wasted my time.  I declined to purchase Windows 10 as it is still working and downloading updates. 

I am thoroughly disgusted with Microsoft after this experience and am now even more anxious for a native Mac version of RM8 so I can get rid of Parallels and Windows.  It has been seven months since Roots Magic announced RM8 would not be released in 2019.  I purchased RM8 ahead of time since they said it would be released last year.  We will soon be into the second half of 2020 and RM8 has not been released yet.  I think Roots Magic's customers who purchased RM8 believing it would be released last year at least deserve an update as to its current status.

#2 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:54 PM

Hear! Hear!  We should be told something about RM8 status: 6 months off; a year; 5 years from Tuesday, never.

I feel your Windows Microsoft pain. As someone who had to use Microsoft's awful products at work and endure snotty tech "support" I would go home and let my mac soothe my workday wounds. I tried to use RM7 under parallels but after hours of setting up a virtual machine it would break fairly often making you start over. This never occurs with the mac operating system and native programs. I have stopped using RM7 and am waiting for my paid for RM8 or a native alternative.