23 replies to this topic

#21 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:24 PM

On the first question and being in transition with both programs I'm not sure comment would have any great value. Personally as a large database user and comparing FH6 to RM7 I have found FH6 superior in terms of filtering, reporting and mapping and also that enviable Ancestry style pedigree view.

I don't know where the hundreds of beta testers are but we can only hope they are not just cruisers and doing a good job. As for features we are still not clear on exactly what RM8 will bring to the table so I await both FH7 and RM8 to decide the future of my research over the next several years.

I only hope the time spent on these program updates, is spent on fixing the many problems and include adding the many basic wish lists that have been requested..

Just basic things like merging facts, removing unused places in one movement, unrelated bloodline connections Etc Etc that people would all use.

Most times adding new features create many hours of design, but in the end will only be used by a few. Why do this.

Like any program, most people only use a small percentage of the features, some only using the program to store names.

Program updates need to be released quickly including wish list fixes to stop the natives becoming restless.

People would I feel be prepared to pay for new updates on a regular basis and not wait for years and find wish lists remain.

The longer this goes on the more competitors will make sales to unsatisfied customers and restless natives.

Restless native are the worst advertising. Happy natives create more customers by recommendation. 

#22 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 07:51 PM

Most times adding new features create many hours of design, but in the end will only be used by a few. Why do this.

In my experience most users do not recognize a useful feature until its benefit is demonstrated to them.

Like any program, most people only use a small percentage of the features, some only using the program to store names.

Probably better to but a note book, cheaper and doesn't need an internet connection.

Love all the "restless native" associations.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#23 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 04:03 PM

Also where are all the hundreds of Beta testers on RM ??

I am not a beta tester but I would expect that RM beta testers are not permitted to comment about RM8 or even that they are a beta tester, especially they cannot post in forums such as this.

#24 lighthouse

lighthouse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:23 PM

I am not a beta tester but I would expect that RM beta testers are not permitted to comment about RM8 or even that they are a beta tester, especially they cannot post in forums such as this.

Totally and fully understand the responsibility of a beta tester, that is not at question.