9 replies to this topic

#1 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:49 PM

I know there still isn't an date for the RM8 release, but it's been months since "the end of the year". Any hints? Are we looking at the end of 2020?

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:44 AM

I know there still isn't an date for the RM8 release, but it's been months since "the end of the year". Any hints? Are we looking at the end of 2020?

Interesting question. For Mac users, we may be faced with ARM based Macs (“Apple silicon”) by then when it will be a good question as to whether RM8 will run in native mode or whether it will have to run under Rosetta 2, which is a sort of Intel translation function provided by the then latest version of MacOS, Big Sur. I guess it will depend to some extent on the development environment being used for RM8. Aren’t forums fun.

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 05:02 AM

This question is bouncing about again, my opinion below from a few days ago on the Wish List thread;

The following are just my opinions and personal position regarding my genealogy software position in 2020. New software versions are not yearly events like they were in years past and there have been new versions of the likes of FTM and some others last year and recently. Rootsmagic version 7 was released November 2014 iirc so over 5 years old and retaining inherent inbuilt problems which users continued to object to, the sneak previews we have seen thus far have indicated a very welcome move beyond such counter-productive functionality but what about the general research features which are available in other programs?

I have reluctantly moved to Family Historian V6 as it embodies many of the features which are helpful and productive to my research although I still maintain RM in step so effectively using two programs for different needs. Family Historian is less well known outside USA but is a major competitor to RM and is also due an upgrade to version 7 which was predicted "early 2020" and we still await just like RM users. Family Historian version 6 was released April 2016 so 18 months after RM7, and in my opinion the general functionality far outstrips RM7 but there is no Ancestry Treeshare which has slowed general RM development but yet many RM users would not be without. Family Historian does not currently offer a Mac version and again many RM users are looking forward to a native Mac version of Rootsmagic albeit a small market share, FH does run well on emulators.

So to 2020 and the release of RM8 and FH7, I believe there is an element of who will declare first and we must wait and see. I see my choice of the best vehicle for my research as a long term decision, possibly 5 years, so I am happy to use two programs side by side for a year or so to enable me to choose the winner for the years to come. I have watched the video demonstrations of RM8 with great interest and have to say that is some regards some features still fall short of what is currently available in FH6, I would hope these gaps would be closed and personally I am happy to wait for that to happen. As a long term user of FO/RM and a quite active poster on this Wish List I am not prepared to invest additional personal time regurgitating previous wishes and entering another cycle of wishing with Rootsmagic development, I believe it's now time to deliver on the considerable investment of dedicated users over many years.

So far Rootsmagic have indicated corrections to a poorly designed and non productive interface which was a design mistake of the past, whilst many users herald this as new features they can't wait to get their hands on they are not true enhancements in my opinion. I do hope what has been demonstrated is the least users would expect and that the big hitters for new version marketing are still to be declared, if not then I would fear for the product future. Feature rumours for FH7 are also out there and FH7 has a stronger market appeal to non USA markets, RM would be well aware of these feature rumours and must decide how to respond and also whether to wait for release post FH7 release.

So in short I would prefer to wait for a program which fulfils all my needs for possibly the next 5 years rather than start employing workarounds in a half-baked product, I am entitled to a free upgrade to FH7 but I have not yet invested in RM8 as I really need to see if it can offer me the power, reporting and mapping which I desire for a productive research future.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:22 AM

Interesting question. For Mac users, we may be faced with ARM based Macs (“Apple silicon”) by then when it will be a good question as to whether RM8 will run in native mode or whether it will have to run under Rosetta 2, which is a sort of Intel translation function provided by the then latest version of MacOS, Big Sur. I guess it will depend to some extent on the development environment being used for RM8. Aren’t forums fun.

I don't keep up with such things as much now as I did before I retired. So it's big news to me that Apple has decided to move away from Intel. I always thought that when they moved to Intel in the first place that it was huge progress both for Apple and for the industry as a whole. So we will just have to see what happens to the computing world after Apple moves away from Intel. And wouldn't it be ironic after RM has moved mountains to have a common code base for RM8 that will run on both Windows and Mac if that common code base would not run on a Mac. I have no knowledge one way or the other what's going to happen with RM8's common code base on the new Mac hardware. I suspect it will be just fine. But as I said, wouldn't it be ironic if it's not just fine.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:06 AM

What Apple announced and how apps for MacOS are supposed to be compatible yet there are various offerings for transition... https://www.zdnet.co...-more-like-ios/

What the development platform says about ARM and MacOS (nothing in the same breath): https://www.embarcad...products/delphi . Download the RAD Studio Feature Matrix

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

Can't imagine that small scale apple developers who rely on home software purchasers for an income will be queuing to buy first release new apple hardware that can't also run existing x86 software. They are already becoming thoroughly disenchanted with the Apple dictatorship, which is increasingly imposing new restrictions and requirements with every OS release.  As a long-term user I'm also getting increasingly disenchanted by a company that cannot get its existing OS version right, evidenced by the fact that after 6 months we are already up to MacOS 10.15.6, with monthly updates and supplementary updates averaging well in excess of 3Gb downloads per month.

Nor can I see the majority of Mac users rushing to purchase new hardware that may not be compatible with existing peripherals and software and which is incapable of dual booting or virtualising x86 Operating systems which would eliminate the capability advantage of current hardware.

Personally, each Mac that I have purchased has lasted at least 10 years, so why on earth would I want to rush to purchase a new hardware platform.  I purchase the hardware because of proven long-term durability and performance, i.e I still have access to fully functional MacBook Pros from 2011, 2013 and 2019 so I'm now good until at least 2025 and I'm confident that the Office and Family History applications I'm likely to use, including RootsMagic 8 (and possibly 9), plus others I regularly use will still function well on them.  If Apple wishes to commit business suicide before then there will always be suitable alternatives.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#7 tmduffy52

tmduffy52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:32 PM

How did my question/comment about RM8 end up being a discussion about Apple?

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

How did my question/comment about RM8 end up being a discussion about Apple?

In a certain sense, the two questions MIGHT BE inseparable. One major objective for RM8 is native Mac support. But before RM8 has even been released, Apple has announced a conversion from Intel processors to Apple's own ARM processors. So the question then becomes:will RM8's new native Mac support work on Apple's new ARM processors? I suspect it will, but we won't know for sure until we know for sure.

Jerry

#9 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:56 PM

From Facebook

oJUaDQAiBQe.png
This will not affect RootsMagic 8. As others have pointed out,
1) The new ARM-based Macs won’t even be available until the end of the year,
2) Intel-based Macs will be available and usable for years to come, so the transition will be gradual, and
3) Apple’s “Rosetta 2” emulation layer ensures that all your existing 64-bit Mac software will run fine on the new Macs.

#10 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:21 AM

From Facebook

oJUaDQAiBQe.png
This will not affect RootsMagic 8. As others have pointed out,
1) The new ARM-based Macs won’t even be available until the end of the year,
2) Intel-based Macs will be available and usable for years to come, so the transition will be gradual, and
3) Apple’s “Rosetta 2” emulation layer ensures that all your existing 64-bit Mac software will run fine on the new Macs.

As I started this diversion, I thought I would expand a little on what Bob has correctly stated in a hope to close this off.

Having followed the link provided by TomH to the cross-platform development tool being used for RM8, the last stage of packaging the Mac version for distribution involves the use of an Apple provided development tool, Xcode  Running on a Mac. When using that tool, one specifies the target environment where the program is to execute - the tool is used generate/package iOS apps as well as Mac applications.

When generating Mac programs, it has been creating programs for the Intel architecture only. However, the latest version can generate programs for Intel, ARM, or “Universal”, the latter including code that can run on both Intel or ARM (Apple Silicon). By default, it will now generate Universal code, but can be set to generate Intel only or ARM only code. In the RM8 case, it may need some tweaking of the output from the development tool to successfully generate a Universal version that will run on ARM. These tweaks, which are expected to be minor, would be up to the developer of that tool, not RM development.

If RM8 for Mac isn’t initially shipped as a Universal program, then as Bob says it will still run on ARM by automatically invoking Rosetta2. This is more a translation tool rather than emulation or dynamic interpretation, and this usually occurs once at program installation time rather than at every program load. It involves scanning the Intel machine code and generating appropriate ARM code.

I hope that helps rather than muddying the water further.