Photo

Enhancement Request (Reference Numbers vs RINs)

Reference Number RIN Index

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChuxGenes

ChuxGenes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:04 AM

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST: For personal reasons, I use my own numbering system in place of RM's assigned Record Numbers (a carry over from the old software I used to use). I manually enter my numbers into the Reference Number tag for each individual. Under Tools -> File Options -> General -> Number to display after name, I have chosen 'Reference number (REFN)' instead of the default 'Record number (RIN)'. I would like to see this carried through to the Index in the left-hand pane so that it would show the names followed by my Reference Number instead of the RM assigned Record Number. In looking at the options available, you can choose to show alternate names, birth year, and/or record number. I currently have all 3 selected but would rather have my Reference Number displayed rather than the Record Number.

This was originally posted on the RootsMagic Facebook page but user Jerry Domier asked for it to be posted here as well.  Several people on Facebook have told me I can use the People View to do this as a work around.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8688 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:18 AM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

You can customize the People View by adding the Reference No fact. Click on the column header to sort by it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 ChuxGenes

ChuxGenes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:21 AM

Thanks, Renee.  While using the People View is, indeed, a work around, it is not ideal.  When sorting by the Reference Number column, the data is treated as text and therefore, not sorted numerically (i.e. they show as 1, 10, 100, 2, 3, 4, etc. instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 10, 100, etc.) and I find no way of changing that.  I realize some researchers use an alphanumeric numbering system so the data type would have to be user definable.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8688 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:30 PM

Confirming that is on the enhancement request. 

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Reference Number, RIN, Index