6 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 12:48 PM

I have run into a new problem, for me anyway.

I have Ancestry hints turned on. I have a person in my tree where all of the Ancestry hints have either been accepted or rejected. The Ancestry hint stays pending (bulb stays lit). I've tried turning off Ancestry hints and back on. No change. I've accepted all hints, and I've rejected all hints, as a test. The same two hints still stay in pending status. Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 01:06 PM

I have the same problem with a couple of people in my family tree. The initial WebHints popup shows nine total hints, but the subsequent screen lists only seven. So I have six confirmed, one rejected, and two pending. The two which are pending never show up on the screen which lists the actual hints.

It's an annoyance, but I've been able to ignore it for the most part — I'm assuming that it's an Ancestry API problem.

#3 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:16 PM

Yes, it is very annoying. The only solution that I have found is as follows:

1) In RM, make sure you have downloaded all the details for the individual to RM using TreeShare.

2) In Ancestry, delete the individual from Ancestry.

3) In RM, run TreeShare but this time only add the one individual back to your Ancestry Tree (ignore any other 'unchanged' individuals because some of those changes have been caused by you deleting the individual in Ancestry).

4) In Ancestry, the act of TreeSharing an individual will normally throw up new hints for that individual (which is probably why there was the discrepancy between Ancestry and RM in the first place).

5) In Ancestry, deal with all those hints ensuring that there are no new hints for that individual. Pressing F5 to refresh the browser help double check there are no new hints shown. [If you do not accept/reject those new hints then the yellow light bulb in RM will remain yellow legitimately.]

6) If the individual has marriage events then In Ancestry, recreate the marriage events in Ancestry. [This is because RM will not (reliably) add the marriage event to the new individual and ensure that it is linked to the other individual So it is best to, in Ancestry, to add a new marriage event to the first individual (with all the details and linking to the correct citations), then go to the other individual and add the relevant citations to the new marriage event. You will probably have to delete the original marriage event from one or both individuals in Ancestry. I find that putting k for keep or d for delete in the comments of the marriage events helps knowing which marriage event to delete. Obviously remove those comments when you have deleted the old marriage events.]

7) In RM, run TreeShare again accepting all the facts for the two individuals plus any other changed individuals that TreeShare has found.

8).Then to finally remove the yellow light bulb In RM, you normally have to click on the bulb, That opens the first dialog box, click on the pending items. That opens another dialog box, let it find all the Webhints but do not do anything. Once the wheel has stopped rotating (i.e. it has found all the Webhints), close the second dialog box, then close the first dialog box.

9) In RM the yellow light bulb will briefly disappear and then, hopefully, a white light bulb will appear.

10) In RM if the yellow light bulb remains yellow then, usually, more hints have appeared in Ancestry while you have been TreeSharing in step 7. So, in Ancestry, go back to step 5 (above).

The above corrects just one individual!

In my tree I have a found a few hundred of these since TreeShare was introduced and I know that there will be several more hundred to go. So if someone else has found a better solution I would be happy to hear from them!

I do wish that RM and Ancestry will talk to each other and sort it out.

Effectively what you have to do is delete an individual and recreate them for the problem to go away (for that one individual). I suspect that the problem is that Ancestry hides hints from the user but RM finds those hints through the API. However, since RM does not have the means of extracting those hints the hint cannot be removed. Conversely the user cannot go to Ancestry to get the hints from there because they are hidden. I have complained to both Ancestry and RM about this over the years but each side blames the other and tells me to contact the other saying that their software is perfect. Unfortunately (for very good reasons) neither side are prepared to release their source code to me so I cannot help fix the problem (or even identify the exact problem).

So I have had to live with this stupid and pathetic situation for a few years now and I had to find the above work-around myself, largely by accident.

While they are sorting that out Ancestry could look at improving their API to include the tags to RM (and, of course, for RM, to show and use those tags). Unfortunately there appears to be no indication that RM8 is going to see any rectification of the above issues, let alone being able to search on tags.

In case it is of any solace the only other program which syncs with Ancestry has other issues which basically means it cannot cope with large trees and in any case the competitor has fewer facilities for data cleaning (which is the main reason why I use RM and TreeShare). Also at least RM seems to TreeShare really quickly with large trees in Ancestry which is useful particularly for the above procedure where it has to be run 3 times (steps 1, 3,and 7).

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:46 AM

pstaveley,

Thanks very much, I was able to resolve the issue, at least for this one individual.

I had not looked at the problem from the Ancestry side. When I checked, I found that ANC had two pending hints, which were not showing up in RM. The count of pending hints was listed but the details would not come up. As soon as I cleared the hints in ANC the light went off in RM. Apparently there was a glitch in the API. I know this is a pain, but at least there is a workable solution.

However, something new must be going on. I was having no issues with this in the past, and now I have encountered several new cases in the last couple of days.

Thanks again

Rick

RickL

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:36 AM

I'm late to the thread, but my suggestion would have been to logon directly to ancestry and look for the missing hints as shaky leaves there. That's what you did, and it worked. It's a mystery why the shaky leaves that were clearly visible in ancestry were not reflected properly back to RM. It's surely a problem on the ancestry side of the house. RM simply asks ancestry for hints, and RM has no control over how ancestry responds.

Jerry

#6 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 04:14 PM

My problem is the opposite. Hints are shown in RM but not in Ancestry but RM will not accept them. Meaning that I have delete the individual in Ancestry, upload them from RM and then the hints reappear.

I agree the problem is probably with the Ancestry API but why has nothing been done about it for 3 years?

Peter

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:56 AM

Problem Continues -

Today the issue was a little different. A phantom hint appeared in RM that could not be acted upon or opened. I went to Ancestry and I could see the hint, but could not open it in Ancestry. I came back to the hint about an hour later and tried it again. This time it opened and I was able to clear it in Ancestry. I returned to RM and the hint light had turned off. Something wierd is going on....maybe just a server processing backlog at Ancestry??

FYI

Rick

RickL