Photo

Print list of all sentences by role in Fact type?

Fact types Sentences Roles

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TennGen

TennGen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 04:27 PM

I need to print a list of all the Roles and their Sentences for a specific Fact Type.

I don't see a way to do this, though I am new at RM7 (returning after abt a 2 yr. hiatus).

The Print option that shows within a particular Fact only gives me options for printing Facts associated with People. I don't need that.

I am wanting to check my Sentence structures in various Roles, and I need to be able to view all Roles/Sentences for a single Fact Type all at once, not one Role/Sentence at a time.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

Don't believe there is a dedicated print facility for what you request. These may be the only two ways to view them:

Screen capture of individual fact info from Fact Type List.

Lists->Fact Type List

Select which fact

Click EDIT button

Click square icon in upper right corner to maximize window

Capture the full screen with a screenshot utility for saving and/or printing. Windows has a Snipping Tool for Windows screen image capture to clipboard (WindowsKey+Shift+S).

Text is saved in GEDCOM export file.

File->Export

Ensure that Data to export->Extra details (RM specific) is "checkmarked"

Click OK button and save as filename.GED to a folder you can easily access.

Open your text editor and using the Find features... search for the text 0_EVDEF (zero not O)

This will find the first line in a series of Fact Type event definitions showing the sentence templates and roles.

The list will end when the text 0 _STMPLT (zero not O) is reached.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 05:16 AM

A SQLite query could answer your question. https://sqlitetoolsf...com/role-types/

Another would be to assign the Principal role to one dummy person and all the non-principal roles to a second and print a narrative report for each.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:33 AM

There are numerous data management limitations in RM's sentences and shared roles that are in need of improvement. For example, how do you find out which Birth sentences might have been customized for a particular individual instead of using the generic template for the Birth fact? How do you find out which Marriage facts might have a shared role of Flower Girl? How do you find out which individuals might have been assigned the shared Role of Flower Girl? How do you find individuals who might have one or more Shared Facts? Etc.

For your specific question, I think Tom's suggestion of creating two dummy people, assigning the fact to one of them, and assigning the roles to the other is the best available approach for most users most of the time.

Jerry

#5 TennGen

TennGen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

kbens0n - I think your suggestion #2 might give me what I need; I will try that.

TomH - thanks for that info. Yes, ideally, I would LOVE to print a table of exactly the kind of information that is shown in your example, something that would show all of the custom roles I have created for a specific Fact Type and the associated Sentences with those custom roles. Forgive my ignorance, but I know nothing about SQLite, and it's not immediately clear to me from the webpage you linked to, how I get to view and/or print the kind of Table you are showing. But yes, that's exactly the kind of info I was inquiring about.

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1695 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:02 PM

I copied the fact list to an Excel Spreadsheet.  I did it many years ago.  Jun 2011. Went thru each Fact type, as I copied to the clipboard and pasted into the Excel sheets..  It has been very helpful, when adding a new fact.  Also many others on this forum shared their ideas for a new Fact they created. So I would suggest going to the old forum messages and read some of the messages.   I Used the F1 or help screen that is part of RM which was so very helpful in creating  new facts and the language used to create it.  This was before Tom, I think, was doing the scripts that he wrote. Each person has done a good job of adding and changing sentences over the years, so they work for us. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0