2 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:30 AM

I just now had a situation where I needed to export a source template, but I exported the wrong source template to the correct Windows filename. So I did it again using the same Windows file name and exporting the correct template this time. It wouldn't export because the file name already existed. There was not an opportunity to approve the overwrite. It just wouldn't work.

The only solutions are to delete the existing template file from Windows or to export with a different Windows file name. Neither solution seems very friendly. Indeed, the first time I did this I didn't notice the message that the source template hadn't exported correctly and I sent the wrong template to a user who wanted a copy of one of my source templates. It was a puzzling problem to resolve after first failing to notice that the correct source template hadn't overwritten the incorrect source template.

Hopefully this behavior might be improved in RM8, preferably RM8.1 if fixing this would delay the release of RM8.0.

Jerry

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:24 AM

Not overwriting an earlier source template I believe is intentional. People could easily make an error and overwrite something they don't want to. Instead once the source template name is identified as already existing do the export again but use a different name. Then both can be in the same folder. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:10 PM

Not overwriting an earlier source template I believe is intentional. People could easily make an error and overwrite something they don't want to.

That is absurd. The only reason it might be intentional is that it may take more programming effort to handle that situation. Just like a number of other half-baked features in RM7 and its predecessors. 

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.