4 replies to this topic

#1 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

OK, continuing on my media cleanup...it obviously has been a while since I added new media to the media gallery because:

I was shocked to see when importing photos that the existing IPTC Caption/Description is completely ignored:

I already have this IPTC field populated, and was totally not expecting to have to duplicate effort by manually copying/pasting the data already in the photo into the RootsMagic Caption field.

So with this sad functionality omission, I have to ask if there is any good solution to get an IPTC field into the RM database's Caption or Description fields?

Now I have reviewed this SQLiteToolsForRootsMagic page:

Media Metadata, Read, Write, Compare with Picasa #media #metadata #picasa

However

[a] this is out of date (targetted to RM5, so may no longer be applicable)

[b] I tried it anyways and after creating the RM-Media.db3 file, the suggested SQL query does not work (gives syntax error, deleting one or both semi-colons did not allow it to run):

i-23Gvfn9-L.png

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:44 PM

I developed that procedure and script and believe it should work on a RM7 database because the structure for media is unchanged from ver 4. Please register on that site and comment on the page https://sqlitetoolsf...re-with-picasa/or post to that site's forum.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6448 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:57 PM

In SQLite, strings are demarked by the single quote ('), not ("). You used the latter in the ATTACH statement in error.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:23 PM

I developed that procedure and script and believe it should work on a RM7 database because the structure for media is unchanged from ver 4. Please register on that site and comment on the page https://sqlitetoolsf...re-with-picasa/or post to that site's forum.

Thanks Tom ... will do.

#5 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:45 PM

OK, comment added there: my username there on your site is the same as here, as is the gravatar! :)